Groof Issues- Please Help

CSO Tech Help Forum

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

Groof Issues- Please Help

Postby General Ennui » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:56 am

Some problems with coding.

I've made a photoshop file that has layers that show the map with the roofs on, and the roofs off. I've saved them both as tga's.

I've used groof to code them, and to create the rfm file.

The roofs are on the buildings when I begin a battle. If a unit enters the house, the roof disappears as it should.

But it stays gone after my troops leave the building! What have I done wrong/not done?

When I am in groof, and I add a roof pair, I am adding a small image (mini tga)of the building with the roof off. Is this the way to do it? When I hit "show interiors", nothing changes.

Thanks so much for your help!
General Ennui

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: Groof Issues- Please Help

Postby General Ennui » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:23 am

I'm using GRoof 2, and when I select both images, I don't see any image in the main window. I do, however, see slider bars on the botton and right side which suggest the size of those images. What's the problem? Thanks!
General Ennui

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby kwp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:30 am

I would recommend GRoof2 to first lay out the roofs. In GRoof2 you do not need to add any small interiors. All you need is an external.tga and an internal.tga. You outline the building with vertices and the program will create the roof files for you. The readme file explains it fairly well.

When I am done with GRoof2 I then use GRoof to eliminate the pixel shift by simply loading the bgm, then the rfm that I created with GRoof2 and then saving the rfm file.
I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it left.
kwp
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby General Ennui » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:06 am

Thanks for the advice. But I still can't get the images to appear in Groof2! It may be a photoshop issue. I seem to be saving them as 16bit tgas, but somehow they are coming out as 8bit. I can open them just fine in C3 and in GRoof, but not in GRoof2. Is there something I can change? Thanks.
-General Ennui
General Ennui

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Sbufkle » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:46 am

What graphic editor are you using?
CSO_Sbufkle

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Mafi » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:36 pm

General Ennui wrote:Some problems with coding.

I've made a photoshop file that has layers that show the map with the roofs on, and the roofs off. I've saved them both as tga's.

Perhaps a complete different try will help:
- duplicate your Photoshop file twice.
- keep one file as "original" at a dry and save place.
- take one duplicate, remove the "interiors view layer", and reduce all layers to background, save this file now as 16-bit TARGA WITHOUT compression.
- take the other duplicate file, remove the "exteriors view layer" and reduce alllayers to background, save thi s file too as 16-bit TARGA without compression.

Now your graphics files should work with any roofing tool.

Good luck, Mafi
Mafi

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby General Ennui » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:20 pm

Ok, I've done as you suggest, but ran into the same problem. I don't see any option regarding compression when I save my tga's. The only option I have is "include thumbnail". which I unselect. I'm using Photoshop 5, and the tgas can be opened by C3 no problem. I load the two image into GRoof2, but they don't appear. Thanks for your help!
General Ennui

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby GI_JONZ » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:09 pm

From the read me file

For some reason, I couldn’t get the program to work without the console window. You’ll have to start it from a DOS-command line or with the included Groof2.pif (the one with the MS-Dos logo and the shortcut arrow). If you start the program by just double-clicking on the Groof.exe, you probably wont see the images once they’re loaded. The program itself is completely “Windowsy”, I just couldn’t get it to work as a pure Windows executable. An annoyance, but a minor one.
GI_JONZ
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby schrecken » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:18 pm

KWP

I then use GRoof to eliminate the pixel shift by

What do you mean by this?

Is it a one pixel wide white line left on the image?
schrecken

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby kwp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:29 pm

There is a line that shows up on the map next to the building after a unit enters and then leaves the building. The line shows up when the exterior roof graphic gets applied. It has been so long since I coded the roof files with only GRoof2 that I forget the color of it or its position in respect to the building.

I found that GRoof doesn't cause this but it is a pain to useand that roofs that I had created with GRoof2 caused a line to show up on the map.

GRoof2 causes lines but is easy to use.
GRoof is more difficult to use but causes no line.

So I create my roofs first with GRoof2. Then I use GRoof to open the bgm and rfm files and simply resave the roof files and "Bob's your uncle!", no more lines appear on the map during gameplay when a building is exited.
kwp
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby kwp » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:04 am

schrecken wrote:KWP

What do you mean by this?

Is it a one pixel wide white line left on the image?

Here is an example of the line problem.
kwp
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby General Ennui » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:06 am

Many thanks to everyone involved. I really appreciate it. I have gotten Groof2 to work, and wow! Its so easy. What a wonderful, useful application.

One more annoyance, because, of course, my coding problems never end.

On my map, I have a bridge. This bridge does not span water, but a chasm. I want infantry to be unable to go off the sides of the bridge- they should be kept on the bridge, and if they are along side the bridge, I accept that they will be unable to cross under it.

What type of terrain is impassible to infantry other than deep water? What would people recommend? Thanks.
General Ennui

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Southern_land » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:09 pm

General Ennui wrote:Many thanks to everyone involved. I really appreciate it. I have gotten Groof2 to work, and wow! Its so easy. What a wonderful, useful application.

One more annoyance, because, of course, my coding problems never end.

On my map, I have a bridge. This bridge does not span water, but a chasm. I want infantry to be unable to go off the sides of the bridge- they should be kept on the bridge, and if they are along side the bridge, I accept that they will be unable to cross under it.

What type of terrain is impassible to infantry other than deep water? What would people recommend? Thanks.

What version of CC are you coding for? If it's cc5 I think you're stuck with deep water (Or sheer cliffs which will slow them down dramatically) If you're using cc3 elements try factory wall, I think that may work.
[font=Courier New]Soylent Green; now available in girl flavour[/font]
Southern_land

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby General Ennui » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:02 am

Hey Southern Land,
I used Brick fortification- it worked. I guess the challenge of this whole exercise is using the coding for stuff it was never intended for.

Can soldiers enter a building through walls? Through level 2 windows? Its sort of weird how unstoppable they are. I mean, ok, through a wooden L1 window makes sense, but how are these guys climbing? Jet packs?
General Ennui

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Southern_land » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:58 am

General Ennui wrote:Hey Southern Land,
I used Brick fortification- it worked. I guess the challenge of this whole exercise is using the coding for stuff it was never intended for.

Can soldiers enter a building through walls? Through level 2 windows? Its sort of weird how unstoppable they are. I mean, ok, through a wooden L1 window makes sense, but how are these guys climbing? Jet packs?

yeah that's what i think. I code for effect if what I want isn't there. There've been a few people who've gone "whaaaaaaa you miscoded!!!!" but what the hell, they're generally people who've never thought outside the square.
[font=Courier New]Soylent Green; now available in girl flavour[/font]
Southern_land

Like / Share CSO - Post

Return to Tech Help Forum

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.