Of routers, firewalls, and monsters under the bridge..

CSO Tech Help Forum

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

Of routers, firewalls, and monsters under the bridge..

Postby RD_Cpl._Remains » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:14 pm

OK, so nobody assumes I'm a slacker, I will preface this by telling you I spent most of yesterday researching on this site, and 2 others how to deal with this buggar of a topic and I found LOTS of info. However, while not necesarily a slacker, I am not very savy in getting this to work.

First of all- I can, if I disable the firewall, join games and play CCV at GS no problem. I haven't tried MSN for launching games yet, and have had only one abbortive attempt at TCP IP-but that could have been the other guys problem -he has the firewall/ router blues too. The problem is (as I see it) I can't host at GS, and I bet my ability to play TCP IP is compromised. GS picks up 2 IP addresses. I have opened the listed ports(from gamespy help page and the other ones mentioned for CCV specifically, and others from sticky threads here, the RD site, and Close Combat.net) in Windows(which is always off) In Norton, my real firewall however, while I can set rules to allow all things gamespy and all things CC to pass through, I can't find a way to add ports individually, save for HTTP ports-(which closed down GS CC gaming room when I added those there, had to remove them) nothing about TCP and UDP (accept a tab that I have set to "allow all")

I've been to port forward.com, and thought that I followed all of the instructions there(wish they had a cnfg for CC, plenty of other lesser games there do) but still no love, despite multiple attempts.

I have a cable modem, but I play on lap top w/ a wireless network. Tried to forward ports from the pc (which talks to the router)...should I be doing this from the lap top instead? (forwarding I mean,I opnened ports using both machines.)

In short, I don't understand what the hell I'm doing. Can somebody spell this out for me in a real easy way? You can have my first born child, or barring that I'll buy you a beer somewhere if we ever meet. Ask away and I'll give you all the specifics I can. Thanks for your time.
RD_Cpl._Remains

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: Of routers, firewalls, and monsters under the bridge..

Postby RD_Cpl._Remains » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:41 pm

Has anybody bought the auto config program at portforward.com? It's only 30 bucks, and my router is supported...will delay my purchase of CoI for a pay period or so(damn winter heating bills), but to get CCV hosting ability I can live with that....anybody use it?
RD_Cpl._Remains

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby RD_Roach » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:47 pm

Yes Remains,you must forward the port#s to the PC your useing.I also had that same problem untill i figured it out.I run 2 PC,s one runs the older CC games,i have CoI on my newer PC,I must change the Internal IP #s .Each PC you have running through a Router,will have its own internal IP#.
His is a previous post ive made on this
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been a issue for me ever since i installed a modem/router.At first i couldnt even join a game using the games TCP.The reason was i had to many firewalls running,Windows and Nortons on one PC,and Windows and McaFee on my other. I found out that i needed to turn these firewalls off,as information was passing through 3 firewalls before it was transferred to others or vice versa,in short,it was causeing major lag.Once i turned them off,i was able to join a game. Now my Router is the only firewall i have running.

I also didnt have my Router set up properly,after doing some research,I found that not only did i not have the proper ports opened,but i also hadnt selected the proper redirection IP#.

I just got my game to run properly in the last couple of days,by doing this.

To play through the games TCP/UDP,you must have these ports opened.

3782-3783
2300-2400
Some Router,s require you to write this line twice for each port# once under TCP and once for UDP,some Routers have a drop down box allowing you to do both TCP/UDP under one line.Both TCP/UDP need to be writen.

Running a Modem/Router,with 2 or more PC,s( Iam running 2) This can create more problems if not set up properly. When you have a Router,it sets up a internal IP # for each PC you have connected to it,when opening the ports #(the ones above) you must make sure you select the proper IP# in the *redirection* line in the Port manager(this is found in same place you add port#) For example, my 2 internal IP#s are 192.168.2.10 and 192.168.2.11 I play CC on my older PC,the first IP# is for my older PC,the other is for my new PC. I had the proper ports opened,but i had the wrong IP# in the redirection box,once i changed the redirection to 192.168.2.10,i was able to play as either the joiner or host.

This internal IP# 192.168.2.10,will show up as the IP# you need to send to your opponent,when playing the ingame multiplayer TCP,this however is not the IP# you need to use,you need to use your external IP#.This can be found in your Router under Devices,My external IP# is 74.***.**.**.The Router calls this the WAN IP.

You must do this also if you wish to play in GameSpy. Opening these ports.

29900-29901
6500-6515

Same as above,you need to open them under TCP as well as UDP,and again making sure the redirection IP is correct .

Let me know if you get it sqaured away,if not we can meet up in the RD team speak,and see if we can get you running.
http://www.reddevilscc.com

CC Greatest game ever!!!!
RD_Roach
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby RD_Cpl._Remains » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:43 pm

Hi Roach,

So in all cases is it the external IP the one I need to use?(For GS, in game multiplayer, MSN) Do you know if the sites that tell you your IP address are reporting external or internal? Like http://www.webyield.net/domainquery.html for instance?

Or is it that for redirection, use internal, for players, use external? I'm a little confused on this point.

Also, when the port lists a range, 2300-2400 for instance, is that how I add it, verbatim? Or do I put 2300 in one line and 2400 for the next.

I'm learning about routers atleast. Something I had no idea of before.

Thanks for the help!
RD_Cpl._Remains

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby RD_Roach » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:16 pm

To try and simplfie what i mean,ill put it this way.

From your Router to your Provider(in this case your Cable IPS) is your External IP number(this is the # you must give to the host,if your playing the TCP or UDP,useing the games mulitiplayer funtion). When you go into the mulitiplayer funtion,it will be showing you a different IP#,what your seeing here is the Internal IP#(Internal IP numbers run between your Router and your Tower),So the Internal IP# showing in the games mulitiplayer funtion will not work as it only goes from your Router to your Tower. you need to find and write down your External IP# so you can give it to the host or the other player must give you his ExternalIP if your hosting. This is how you use the Ingame multi player,when behind a Router.

To use Gamespy,you only need to open proper port numbers( TCP and UDP,and have those port numbers,redirected to the Internal IP number,that will direct the open ports to the PC you wish to use for CC(in this case your laptop).Pop your game into your Laptop,go to the ingame Mulitiplayer,here you will see your Internal IP number for your laptop.

Now when your opening the port numbers,make sure their dirrected to that Internal IP number the game showed you.
Your external IP number should be thier in your Router configuration,Mine is under advanced/devices,here its shows both my Internal IP and my External IP. Add the Port numbers as you see them in other post.

2300-2400 (use 2300 in first box) (put 2400 in box beside it) choose UDP or TCP(or both if you have that funtion)(i dont,so i must write it twice,once for TCP and again with UDP)

47624(write this in the first box and select UDP and TCP).
Do the same on all the ports,just make sure their directed to the proper Internal IP#.
Turn off all other firewalls,Nortons/Windows...this will only cause Lag,your Router has one already.

RD_Roach
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby schrecken » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:07 pm

1.All sites that report your IP report your External IP (WAN IP)

This is the IP you give to the other player to join.

2. For redirection in your router use your Internal IP (LAN Ip)

Forward those 3 PORT assignments to your internal IP
schrecken

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby RD_Cpl._Remains » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Is there a way to get Windows XP firewall to accept a range? I cannot find away to do it, though the router allows for it (and the ports have been opened and forwarded from the router to the IP CCV gives me in its multiplayer page), or do all of those have to be added into windows individually (making it what, 200 entries total for the 2300-2400 range because they have to be done once for tcp once for udp?)

I still have the first problem w/ Norton internet security v 9.1...in the firewall there is only a tab to allow TCP and UDP...the only place to open ports denotes them as HTTP ports. This didn't work before when I opnend them here...is this the place I should be opening ports in Norton? I have set rules that are supposed to allow all things CCV and all things gamespy to go through.

I hope I can get this working! Had a 3 day weekend and haven't seen combat yet for all of this tweaking! Might have to give up for a few hours and just join games ;)

Thanks for your help guys
RD_Cpl._Remains

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby kwp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:04 pm

do all of those have to be added into windows individually (making it what, 200 entries total for the 2300-2400 range because they have to be done once for tcp once for udp?)

If you don't want to enable the entire 2300-2400 range you might get by with just enabling the first port (2300) once for tcp and then again for udp.
I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it left.
kwp
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby RD_Roach » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:16 pm

You Router has a firewall,no need to run Windows or Nortons firewall,I disabled my Windows security altogether,and turned off my Nortons firewall,and now just run the Nortons Aniti Virus...It caused major lag,or no connection at all,running all three. Since then ive had NP running the CC games.

RD_Roach
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby kwp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:22 pm

RD_Roach wrote:You Router has a firewall,no need to run Windows or Nortons firewall,I disabled my Windows security altogether,and turned off my Nortons firewall,and now just run the Nortons Aniti Virus...It caused major lag,or no connection at all,running all three. Since then ive had NP running the CC games.

I would think twice before I did this. My router uses NAT and the firewall on my pc is always blocking port scans from internet addresses.
kwp
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby RD_Cpl._Remains » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:02 pm

RD_Roach wrote:You Router has a firewall,no need to run Windows or Nortons firewall,I disabled my Windows security altogether,and turned off my Nortons firewall,and now just run the Nortons Aniti Virus...It caused major lag,or no connection at all,running all three. Since then ive had NP running the CC games.

Hi Roach,

I thought that even w/ the firewalls off, the ports had to be opened? So, w/ that in mind, is it enough just to open them in windows? I was already having to disable Norton to join games(and Windows firewall always stays off 'cos I use Norton)
KWP - did entering just the beginning of the range work for you? If I don't do this, is the "right" way to do it entering each number in between the ranges? I think this might be where my problem is now, in windows firewall. I think I have the router licked now...I hope.
RD_Cpl._Remains

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby RD_Roach » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:20 pm

I thought that even w/ the firewalls off, the ports had to be opened? So, w/ that in mind, is it enough just to open them in windows? I was already having to disable Norton to join games(and Windows firewall always stays off 'cos I use Norton)

Opening your Router ports will allow info to run freely in and out going,if you were to just open ports in Windows and not your Router as well,the info will still be blocked.

I would think twice before I did this. My router uses NAT and the firewall on my pc is always blocking port scans from internet addresses

KWP,Ive been running it this way for 5 months or so,i havent had any problems thus far,but i do agree its good to have more protection then not.
The firewall on your PC,by that you mean Windows or Nortons/McAFee firewall? Would you be able to expand on this more? :)

Thanks

RD_Roach
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby kwp » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:57 pm

RD_Cpl._Remains wrote:KWP - did entering just the beginning of the range work for you? If I don't do this, is the "right" way to do it entering each number in between the ranges? I think this might be where my problem is now, in windows firewall. I think I have the router licked now...I hope.

I am lucky because my router and firewall allow me to open a range of ports by listing them as 2300-2400 although my firewall does require a sepearate listing for incoming and outgoing.

If you can't or don't want to list all 100 ports I would suggest listing 2300 in/out and 2400 in/out. This seemed to work for someone I had helped. And don't forget to open 47624 and 6073 also. Not sure about GS ports as I don't use it.
kwp
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby kwp » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:01 am

RD_Roach wrote: KWP,Ive been running it this way for 5 months or so,i havent had any problems thus far,but i do agree its good to have more protection then not.
The firewall on your PC,by that you mean Windows or Nortons/McAFee firewall? Would you be able to expand on this more? :)

Thanks

Yes I use a software firewall on my pc called PC-cillin by Trend Micro. You couldn't pay me enough money to screw up my pc with Norton. ;)
kwp
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby RD_Cpl._Remains » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:55 am

OK, I'm close now I think. I have entered in all of the ports in windows(didn't take as long as I thought it would), They are all there, checked and rechecked. I also have them all opened w/ the router, and the router is redirected to the IP given in CCV ingame multiplayer...but no!! My IP keeps fluctuating! And my lap top computer is dangerously light and aerodynamic right now....%@***!!!

OK, now to run some searches and read about how to go about getting a static IP, and if you guys have anything to add here, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help so far!

Ed*** Found a good resource within minutes at portforwad.com...looks good anyway ;) Will check back tomorrow and let you know.
RD_Cpl._Remains

Like / Share CSO - Post

Next

Return to Tech Help Forum

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.