GD 1.4 Grand Campaign vs. AI

AAR (After Action Reports) & B2B (Battleplan to Battlefield) Forum

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

GD 1.4 Grand Campaign vs. AI

Postby G.Mooyman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:11 pm

With the new release of the Grossdeutschland mod I decided to do the GC again. I've installed the 1.4 GD mod, the german music update and the RealRed diamond version. Ill try to keep the campaign updated but I cant promise ill be playing much in the hot summer :)

Operation 1: Barbarossa.

Day 1 and 2.
My first goal was to take the river wading in the north. The bridge in the south can be taken but most of the time with huge casualties. 2e Zug was on the north flank, and the 1e Zug on the south. The StuG and a SMG were hold back for a supporting role. The hard fight for the house near the wading ended in a truce after both sides ran out of ammo.
On the second day the Russians launched a counter attack. A defence perimeter was set up around the house. 1e Zug, now on the north flank inflected heavily damage since it was almost surrounded. The attack was repelled with the StuG in supporting role. At the moment the 2e Zug launched an attack over the southern hill the Russians fled the battle after sustaining too much casualties.

Day 3.
A Flak 2cm and a HMG covered the bridge while the rest of the kompanie took the northern hill. This is the only route on this map with some cover for armour. The large hill with the victory location was taken easily without costs. The StuG's went over the hill to attack the heavy and light armor deployed around the farm from the back. Taking down 1 AT gun on the move. Without armour it was a mater of time to roll up the remaining infantry almost suroundered between the river and farm.

Day 4 and 5.
Resting day. The 2cm Flak and a HMG took care of the hordes Russian infantry trying to take the northern hill. The StuG's took car of rushing light armour through the center.
While an 88 and a HMG are guarding the center hill. The rest of the force instantly rushed on the north flank over the hills. I saw the Russians did an attack along side the river (leaving the city open). That attack damaged the 88 but the HMG crew took on 4 or 5 Russian squads without own casualties. In the mean time my main force drove on towards the city. It was taken after a hard battle, destroying my 2e Zug in the progress. With nowhere to retreat the Russians fled the battle.

Day 6.
With 2e Zug lost, the 88 damaged and the 2cm Flak resting I started day 6 as resting day. 2 Days to capture this map but actually this gave me a highly dynamic force. It turned out the north flank was almost empty so I decided to attack. With a wide axis I aproached the city and took the first house of the city without problems. A counter attack from within the city was taken care off leaving me to take the rest of the city. The Russians fled the battle after they couldnt take back the city anymore.

The first operation was quiet a succes. I didnt sustained much damage. The only real damage was done on the 5th day were I lost the 2e Zug. I had a good balance between defence and offence. On the first 2 days the StuG's were used as support for the infantry. While on 3, 5 and 6 they were used in the offensive with the infantry as support.
As commander I got a EK1 and EK2. The HMG from 1e Zug had 83 kills and was honoured with a KC and a EK2. The StuG under command of Landwehr took down 4 armour, 2 guns and 66 infantry, the unit was rewarded with 3 EK2's. (Looks like he will be my new Panzer Ace :) )

G.Mooyman

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: GD 1.4 Grand Campaign vs. AI

Postby yuma » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:43 am

thanks! hope you will update as you go. one of the best mods ever
yuma
Stabsfeldwebel
Stabsfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Roads to Moscow!

Postby G.Mooyman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:08 pm

Luckily some rain here so the temperature drops a bit. CC3 is still one of the most addictive games ever :) Game settings are on Hero btw.

Operation 2; Roads to Moscow.

Day 1.
I don't like this map because its hard to launch an attack through the open fields. My forces were setup in a defensive way. In the north Russian infantry attacks were dealt with easily with my 2cm Flak and HMG. Russian armour through the centre were dealt with my 88's swiftly. After the Russian attack my infantry tried to gain control over the ruined village. Some losses were reported due to enemy mortar shells. Luck is still on my side, Im amazed I took this map in only one day (that doesnt happen too often)

Day 2 and 3.
Again a very hard map to advance. I decided to sit and wait for the Russians. My 88s got some armour and the 2cm Flak most of the Russian infantry. In an attempt to gain control over the southern parts of the woods a HMG Zug was lost.
Day 3 saw more offensive actions. The 88's got all the armour and I let my infantry slowly move forward towards the first victory location. Suddenly the Russians flled the battle. Again an unusual quick victory on this map.

Day 4.
The Russians launched a massive armoured attack through the woods. My 88's were on the flanks and couldnt get a hit and the StuG's were helpless behind the woods. So the the line had to be hold by the infantry, in which the suceeded. The 1e Zug and 1e Zug destroyed 2 KV-1's and one T-34 with grenades but at a high cost. 1e Zug and its attached HMG Zug was killed in action (And with that I lost all my medals) One T-34 slipped through but didnt had a change against a 88 waiting for him. After the StuG's helped clearing the woods of Russian infantry they launched an counter attack together with a HMG Zug to regain the victory location in the north wich was captured by Russian infantry.

Day 5 till 10.
I ussually take the Kremlin but I didnt want too much casualties which will be costly in later operations. So I just garrisoned the building outside the Kremlin walls and waited. Offcourse the Russians tried to attack but all in vain. I endured quiet some casualties from mortars and lost a few good men in counter attacks to regain lost victory locations. In the end I got a 'total victory' while keeping my force at maximum strength.

The Russians awakened. Casualties were much higher in the second operation on my side. My casualty rate is steadily increasing every day by mortar fire. But the real harm is done by their armoured attacks. My StuG's cant handle the Russian armour but are still ace against infantry. I have to place them at the back to often as I would like. Only on day 4 they are used in a good attack.

G.Mooyman

Like / Share CSO - Post

Moscow retaliates!!

Postby G.Mooyman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:57 am

Operation 3; Moscow retaliates!!

Day 1 till 4.
The Russian attack to relief Moscow. My 2 88's where positioned in the woods. One on the northern flank and one in the middle. The StuG's guarded the southern flank. The main axis of attack from the Russians was through the middle, but some tanks where also spotted on the northern flank. The battles where hard with heavy casualties. Slowly I lost ground and had to leave the forrest. On day 4 I retreated to try my luck somewhere else.

Day 5 till 7.
For the first 2 days my forces defended the forrest on the western side of the anti-tank ditch. The StuG's didnt see much action because I carefully held them at the rear. It was mostly a infantry battle between both sides infantry who tried to capture, or hold, the victory location at the ruined farm. The 88's took care of any Russian armour trying to get closer.
Change of plans on day 7. If I wanted a big victory I knew I had to drive the Russians back again. So I set all my forces on the southern flank on the Eastern bank of the anti-tank ditch which, suprisingly, wasnt taken by the Russians. With the 88's guarding the open field one of my Zug's captured the farm on the right while the rest advanced through the forrest to take the other farm. With a clear view on the battlefield from those farms the StuG's could easily advance, picking out targets without to much danger.

Day 8.
Back on the map on which my troops already fought so well during the campaign. While almost anniliated on the previous map the Russian could only use medium and light armour in their attack. Although they destroyed both my 88's in the center defence line. The StuG's, positioned behind the 88's on the open field, bravely hold the line. Also brave action from 1e Zug who naded a T-34. With the momentum out of the Russian attack 2 StuG's and 2e Zug did a flanking attack on the north trying to outflank the remaining Russian infantry still in the woods. This assault was halted shortly by a well placed anti-tank gun in the southern woods. With that gun facing North-East the 3rd StuG, held back to hold the line with the infantry, quickly rushed (together with 3e Zug) on the Southern flank to take out that gun from point blank.
On the northern flank the StuG's completed the encirclement by taking control of the hill. From there they could fire on Russian units reatreating from the encircled woods as well on units stationed in the village. Blitzkrieg on it's best!! Manteufel would have been proud.

Apart from the last 2 days my troops where fighting with their backs against the wall. Especially on the first 3 days the fighting was really hard and bloody. My answer to the Russian armour are my 2 88's, though the StuG's can do heavy damage if they manage to get real close. Ace of Spades of anti-infantry is my 2cm Flak gun, almost reaching the 150 kills.
Day 8 saw the almost perfect showcase of a Blitzkrieg with assault guns. With 2 flanking manouveres the assault guns exploited instantly the gaps in the Russian defence. Finishing off the trapped units after the encircelment was completed.

On to Kharkov!!!
G.Mooyman

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby yuma » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:33 pm

thanks for another great report. especially like to read your strategies and the give and take and ups and downs this excellent mod puts one through.
yuma
Stabsfeldwebel
Stabsfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Operation 4; Advance to the Don River!

Postby G.Mooyman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:47 am

Operation 4; Advance to the Don River!

Day 1.
Normally I take the farm in the north and wait for the Russians. This time I wanted quick succes with my StuG company. 1e sMG Zug secured the farm while one 88 and a Flak 2cm covered the middle section. The rest of the infantry and the 3 StuG's were deployed in the woods south. The mobile kampfgruppe rushed instantly over the hill towards the farm at the bottom left. The StuG's got 2 enemy armour while shooting on the move and the farm was captured quickly without any losses. The Russians launched a counter attack from the middle gully but the flank was secured by the 88 and 2cm Flak. The regrouped kampfgruppe quickly attacked the north and took the hill after heavy fighting. The Russians fled and the battle was won within 5 minutes!!

Day 2.
I positioned the 88 in the woods on the south guarded by a sMG Zug and the 2cm Flak. The StuG's and infantry were deployed behind the hills in the north. I was hoping for another quick rush over the hills but found out all the Russian armour was deployed just north of the town. I thought I had made a tactical mistake but I soon became witness of the real power of the dreaded 88. The Flak gun started firing furiously at the group of enemy tanks, taking them down one by one. It recorded 6 tank kills and as final touch it destroyed a medium anti-tank gun. With the armoured threat destroyed the rest of my kampfgruppe rushed over the hill towards the town.

Day 3.
Last time I played this map my force was almost completely anniliated because I had taken a defensive position. This time I let my in-mobile guns rest for a day. In the south I rushed with all StuG's and infantry over the hill towards the gully. Under cover of heavy smoke the troops crossed the gully and positioned themselfs in the woods without any enemy contact. I directed the attack to the north where I encountered heavy resistance. A very bloody fight began which even got worse with enemy counter attacks from the north and west. The infantry sustained heavy casualties but there where also heroic moments. Most Zug's took down tanks and also all the StuG's at least got one armour. Panzer commander Kass really saved my day. The StuG really raced from north to south and back to counter any attacks and give support to infantry who couldnt hardly hold the lines. The tank took down 4 tanks.
With a last assault to the north the Russians finnaly gave up.
My divisional commander must have noticed my quick Blitzkrieg assaults because after this battle I was awarded the Knight's Cross.

Day 4.
The Blitzkrieg at a halt! Not only I could find a good tactic but also a lot of troops had to rest after the first very succesfull first 3 days. I could only position them in a defensive way and hope for the best. The Russian attacks where beaten off but my 88 was destroyed. In the last minutes the infantry captured the triangle building.
The second day saw a massive assault from the Russians on the triangular building. A T34 managed to get to the square and destroyed my 2cm Flak just before it was destroyed by one of my sMG Zug's. One StuG sneaked south towards the small ruined farm where it took down 2 Russian armour who went for the victory location in the west. After that my troops slowly took the rest of the city to trap a lot of enemy troops at the west bank of the river.

This was by far the most succesfull - and perhaps luckiest - campaign so far. Especially the first 3 days where really amazing. The maps really suited quick rushes with my StuG company. I pulled of some tactical stunts of which I never thought it was possible. Offcourse I couldnt do that in the city and had to take that one with hard fighting. Suprisingly this operation had the lowest cusualty rate on my side of all the operations.

G.Mooyman

Like / Share CSO - Post

Operation 5; Into the southern steppes!

Postby G.Mooyman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:59 pm

Operation 5; Into the southern steppes!

Day 1.
The 88 and a 2cm Flak guarded the entrance of the valley. The StuG's where positioned in the middle and the infantry in the north. Russian armoured attacks where halted by the 88 and the few tanks who reached the top of the hill where taken out by the StuG's. 2 StuG's went to the north to launch an attack supported by infantry. The 3rd StuG went through the center. The city was taken quickly with zero casualties on my side.

Day 2.
The second 88 came back in action today. Both 88's guarded the middle hill assisted by the 2cm Flaks. The rest of the troops waited behind the northern hill. After the 88's took out most of the enemy armour the northern battle group moved over the hill. The StuG from commander Kass was destroyed in the progress. The Russians apperantly learned their lesson and fled the field before I even reached the second hill.

Day 3.
Same tactic as previous operation but the Russians didnt make the same mistake. Though the 2 88's in the south got most armour. A massive assault from my StuG's and infantry in the north took out the remaining armour hiding in the city. Again low casualties, only one 2cm Flak was destroyed in the south.

Amazingly this operation was won in 3 days with a record low of casualties on my side. It's great too have quick succes but tbh the battles where a bit boring. Im starting to suspect the 1.4 version is easier than previous versions of GD.
G.Mooyman

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Penguin X » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:12 am

Nice AAR :action-sm
Penguin X

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby dgfred » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:53 pm

Nice work D#c% , thanks for the pics :cool-smil .
dgfred

Like / Share CSO - Post

Operation 6; Counterattack at Rzhev

Postby G.Mooyman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:22 pm

Thks for the comments. The operations are going fast now :D

Operation 6; Counterattack at Rzhev

Day 1 and 2.
An open map where its almost impossible to hide from the enemy. I expected high casualties and a hard fight but it turned out otherwise. Enemy infantry crouched through the fields in the north easially stopped by the 2cm guns. For some reason the armour appeared one by one over the hills so they where easy prey as well. On the second day the Russians suffered so much damage they fled the battle.
If the Russians rushed all their tanks over the hill my troops would be anniliated. Sadly (or luckily really) this became a very boring operation.
My casualties; an 88, a StuG and a heroic Landser.

Funny that I didnt got a total victory after the Russians fled on the second day while they where on the offensive.
G.Mooyman

Like / Share CSO - Post

Operation 7; The brink of destruction!

Postby G.Mooyman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:00 am

Operation 7; The brink of destruction!

Day 1 till 7.
Taking the initiative on this map aint really a good idea. Infantry and armour need to pass the bridge in the middle where they will be siting ducks for the Russian armour waiting in the open field. This also goes the other way around; the AI had a hard time to find the route over the bridge. I set up my forces in the inner ring of the city. Placing the troos in the outside buildings would make them easy targets for Russian armour. This ment the enemy could travel over the bridge without problems. However they where trapped into my fire just before the first city victory location. I tried several counter attacks. In one of them one of my StuG's got a hit. First lieutenant Broix was badly wounded and got a ticket home.
On the last day I tried a counter attack towards the bridge. I regained the lost ground on my side of the river but wasnt able to cross the bridge.
G.Mooyman

Like / Share CSO - Post

Operation 8; Belgorod falls!

Postby G.Mooyman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:31 pm

Operation 8; Belgorod falls!

Day 1 till 8.
On the hill north I placed a 2cm Flak to counter infantry attacks through the open field. The AT guns where positioned in the woods covering the open field and the hills at the east. The infantry and the StuG's guarded the woods so my guns wouldnt get flanked from the south. From time to time I tried counter attacks to regain lost victory locations in the city and the woods.

I began replacing my 88's because in the previos operation they where shot down too often. The 88's cant hide, so I hoped the Pak 76mm have more stealth. It worked but with a catch. A KV-1 appeared on the hill but I couldnt destroy it. The two 76mm guns as well both StuG's fired upon the armoured beast untill they all ran out of ammo!! The tank was damaged and 4 crew members died but one badly wounded Russian still operated the tank. My sniper sneaked towards it and threw some nades but still no effect. A second attempt with one of the infantry squads finnaly destroyed the tank though the tank got 2 of my brave men.

Day 9.
I wanted the city back and launched a massive assault. With the static guns on the hill for cover the rest of the troops moved to the east. The town was taken from the north where most Russian troops were trapped. After the city I went south for another victory location. One StuG went on tank hunting in the woods and bravely shot down a T34 from behind.

Finnaly the Russians put up a fight again after the boring last two operations. I was on defence and shouldnt have high casualties. The counter attacks where the most interesting part of this operation though I lost a few good men.

G.Mooyman

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby GS_Schimpf » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:58 am

Do you play with both sides on Hero level?
GS_Schimpf
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby G.Mooyman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:05 am

Wow! Its a long time ago I played this campaign. Did some CC5 Karelia and after that got busy with other things. Still CC3 is too addictive :action-sm
Just did the last 2 days of this campaign. Hope I can remember the other days.

Operation 9; Back Hand Blow!

Day 1.
A typical rushing map after the enemy armor is destroyed. All my forces are on the hill. The AT guns and tanks easily took out the Russian armor. From the north all my infantry advanced towards the woods. Some heavy fights over a Russian AT gun in the woods which was well guarded by some infantry squads. The Russians fled the battlefield after I took the forest.

Day 2.
The AT and Flak guns where positioned in the 2 farms to guard the flanks. The rest of the force was directly between the village and the bridge. Those forces directly stormed the houses in the village in an attempt to gain control it. A heavy and bloody fight started at the town square. Both forces couldn't get control over the crossroad so I tried a flanking manoeuvre along the north. That part of the city was well defended by infantry and an AT gun. It took some brave action from my infantry and a Tiger command tank to take the rest of the city.

Day 3.
I had set up a defensive parameter in the rear south to guard the open field. However the rest of my force was south. I slowly sneaked the tanks and infantry through the woods and destroyed the waiting enemy troops behind the last hill. I surrounded the Russians and in the next days the village became a slaughter field. Everything I got I placed on the eastern hill facing all troops to the west. The Russians didn't even had a change at firing back at my guns since they where facing west as well. Retreating and fleeing troops where welcomed by the 2cm Flaks and MG guns.

G.Mooyman

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Antony_nz » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 pm

Very good. Thx for that, i love good AAR.
Antony_nz

Like / Share CSO - Post

Next

Return to AAR/B2B Forum

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.