To the Last Man

AAR (After Action Reports) & B2B (Battleplan to Battlefield) Forum

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

To the Last Man

Postby flamethrower » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:22 pm

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]“To the last man”[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]OK so I didn’t like winning easily against the AI in my first B2B. This battle will make up for that by a long shot. I have always liked the CCIII Westfront Mod and Teg’s “Ardennes</ST1 :p to Hurtgen” Campaign Submod is a barnburner. The Germans have all the armored toys at their disposal and come on like gangbusters in the early stages of the campaign. With the Mod adapted for COI the only comparable action I’ve experienced for playing against a really aggressive AI is TT’s CCIV Vetbob. I played the beginning map as the Allies a couple of times at Hero setting and just got crushed and booted off the map in a hurry so for this B2B I the played Allies as Veteran with these settings: 15 Min, 2 Min VL, 100% Realism[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p [/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]This was really a lot of fun with attacks by German armor from every angle, incredible close combat fighting and a last-ditch stand by my Allied infantry “down to the last man”.[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Image[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]My Units:[/font][/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Image[/font][/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p [/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]I chose as many infantry units with AT capabilities as possible knowing that I was going to face a storm of attacking armor; the 4 BAR Infantry squads were each equipped with a bazooka. I hoped the flamethrower squads and bazooka squads would help stem the tide.[/font][/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p Image</O :p [/font]

</O :p
[/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]I chose Veteran setting after trying this battle a couple of times at Hero and got booted too quickly. This way I might at least inflict some damage in the process of trying to defend the church.[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Deployment:[/font][/font]

[align=center][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Image[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]The layout of the buildings created a bit of a fortress at the crossroads with the 4VL points. I placed my commander in the building in the back of the “fort” with 2 bazooka squads hoping he would survive the onslaught and keep the morale of the defense up as the attack evolved. The smaller buildings to the south each contained a BAR Infantry (bazooka). The church held 2 BAR Infantry (bazooka) and the 2 Flamethrowers positioned along the southern wall of the church.[/font][/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Image[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]I decided to ignore the building with the VL at the top of the map and hope to keep control of the one VL at the church, if I survived.<O :p [/font][/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 6in; HEIGHT: 408.6pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg" o:title="deployment closeup"></v:imagedata></v:shape>[/font]

<O :p [/font][/font]

[/align]
flamethrower

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: To the Last Man

Postby flamethrower » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:32 pm

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]My battleplan[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]With AT LOS to approach lanes for an attack by armor on my position from any direction and good protection against an infantry attack on the church with the flamethrowers I basically just hoped to stay alive:[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p [/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Use the “fort” cover as defense and engage enemy armor ONLY in close combat. <O :p [/font]
  • [font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Draw the armor close in; if the enemy armor sits back and blasts the buildings I am doomed (and quickly).<O :p [/font]
  • [font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Set all the units to Ambush and let them defend themselves in the cover of the buildings for as long as possible before directing fire. [/font]
  • [font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p [/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Keep the commander alive. In COI with the morale being so influential with the loss of the single commander I will be immediately booted off the map.[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][size=25][color=#000000]The German AI was extremely aggressive and threw an impressive array of armor against me in a swarming attack:<O :p [/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Kingtiger<O :p [/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Jagdpanzer IV[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p [/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Stug IIIG[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Two - SS PzIVJ[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]SS Hetzer 38t[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]75mm IG Aukfl<O :p [/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]As the German attack began several armored units approached supported by infantry; A SS PzIVJ drove directly towards the church and took that VL, with the 75mm IG Aukfl close behind. Three infantry squads moved to the crossroads area capturing two more VLs. The second SS PzIVJ approached from the south and began firing upon my BAR squad in the central building.[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]As the 2nd PzIVJ in the south fired upon the BAR squad in the central building the 1<SUP>st</SUP> SS PzIVJ moved next to the building and the VL became neutral. I destroyed the 1<SUP>st</SUP> IVJ with the bazooka in the BAR squad to the south, but BAR squad in the central building was then attacked by the IG and returned fire on it. At this time a StugIIIG began approaching from the north towards the church and infantry began to rush the church. My squads in the church and command building were still set to AMBUSH and laying wait.[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]The remaining IVJ moved adjacent to the BAR squad in the southern building and was immobilized by that squad with grenades since they had exhausted their bazooka ammo in destroying the other IVJ. The IG began directing its fire on that building as the Stug began to move around the building north of the church. The enemy infantry squads redirected their approach to the central building since the VL had returned to my possession with the destruction of the IVJ.[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]As the BAR squad in the southern building continued to close-assault the IVJ, the IG attacked the south of the church closely and was destroyed by a bazooka in the command building. Three squads of enemy infantry continued to approach the church and the central building VL became neutral again. Another enemy vehicle emerged from the woods to the west; a Jagdpanzer IV.[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Image<O :p </O :p [/font]
<O :p [/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 6in; HEIGHT: 416.4pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg" o:title="3 Another J and Infantry"></v:imagedata></v:shape>[/font]<O :p [/font][/font][/color][/size][/font]
flamethrower

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby flamethrower » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:42 pm

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Now, more hell began to break loose. Enemy infantry squads close-assaulted the church and central building as another began to race towards the northern VL. The Stug attacked the church in close quarters.[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]The BAR squads and the flamethrowers in the church rose to the challenge inflicting heavy casualties on the infantry repulsing their attack and an SS Panzerschreck squad and a squad of Schutzen surrendered. Although under heavy attack it appeared that my units were holding their own at this point. The northern VL remained in my hands and the central VL remained neutral.[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][size=25][color=#000000]The heat rose and snow melted around the church as the action continued. Hurrah! The flamethrowers immobilized and then destroyed the Stug as it moved to the north wall of the church. The 4 BAR squads were still surviving. The IVJ in the south had gone dormant and the northern VL remained in our hands with the central VL neutral. Things looked promising! <O :p [/font][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p[/font][/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][size=25][color=#000000]Merde! Out of the woods in the north emerged the Jagdpanzer and over the rise behind the command building rolled a Kingtiger. The enemy infantry banged again on the front door of the church.[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p [/font]

<O :p [/color][/size][/font]
flamethrower

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby flamethrower » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:51 pm

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Yikes! Although the destruction of the Stug returned 2 VLs to our possession things took a real turn for the worse. As the Jagdpanzer closed in from the north and the Kingtiger rounded the command building another German armored vehicle rolled over the rise in behind my position; a Hetzer 38t. And to top it off enemy infantry had finally infiltrated the church. We were caught in a panzer pincher![/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][size=25][color=#000000]The crucible started to boil over as the Jagdpanzer drove to take the VL at the north building and the Hetzer first eliminated the BAR squad in the central building with MG and cannon fire then drove to take the central VL.[/font][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][size=25][color=#000000]The Kingtiger moved to the north of the church and raked the building with MG fire.<O :p </O :p [/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Huzzah! The remaining flamethrower cooked the Kingtiger and a bazooka squad in the command building took out the Hetzer.<O :p </O :p [/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p[/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Then things began to really look hellish in the church; one of my flamethrowers was killed, one of the BAR squads was eliminated and the other reduced to a couple of men.[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]The church VL returned to the Germans. We were stranded in the center of the map, surrounded and with no VLs in our possession, and the Jagdpanzer approached the church. From behind the command building, out crawled an enemy Flammenwerfer unit, a “skinsteal!” [/font][/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Deep merde![/font][/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p [/font]Image [/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Image
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]From bad to worse! The “skinsteal” flamed my commander (me) and to make matters worse my commander was named “Flamethrower”.[/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Without a surviving commander, the BAR squad in the south building, that had been holding down the immobilized IVJ since the beginning of the attack, surrendered; not good. I’m down to one BAR squadmember and one flamethrower in the church and 3 bazooka squad members in the “command” building. The Jagdpanzer continues to roam in the north and the bazooka-men won’t engage the Flammenwerfer. Merde creek![/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold][/font]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Image<O :p [/font]

[/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]<O :p [/font]
[/color][/size][/font]
flamethrower

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby flamethrower » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:56 pm

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]The remaining flamethrower, Private Kang, in a fit of rage took matters in to his own hands. Rushing to the north of the church he cooked the Jagdpanzer, then he raced to the south side of the church to fry the German flamer that had moved into central building. But all VLs still remained in German possession so Kang moved again towards the north of the church and retook the VL. It appeared that all the German armor had been destroyed and all was quiet. He had one flame charge remaining and two bazookas remained in the “command” building. Was it over?[/font]

flamethrower

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby flamethrower » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:04 am

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Cries from the “command” building; the attack was not over! A German[/font][color=black][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Aufklarer[/font][font=Arial Rounded MT Bold] squad had attacked from behind. One bazooka surrendered hastily as the German scouts rushed the church. Kang expended his last flame charge and fried the lead German but another raced in the back door of the church! Throwing aside the flamethrower Kang lobbed his grenades over the pews at the enemy as the last other allied man surrendered. The VL had returned to neutral. Wielding only his knife Kang scavenged among the dead stacked beside the smoking altar. Holy Hand Grenades! He was saved! A 4 shot salvo killed the last German. He crawled over the bodies of the dead to the door to the steeple and climbed the stairs to the tower of the church. He reached the top and looked out at the burning German armor surrounding him. He had retaken the VL. He was alone.[/font][/color]
[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]Image [/font]

[font=Arial Rounded MT Bold]This battle ended up being one of the most exciting battles against the AI I have ever played. The AI was incredibly aggressive and attacked from every angle and didn’t stop. The coolest thing was that just as the last allied player (and a flamethrower at that) retook the church VL time expired. I love this game![/font]
flamethrower

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby RD_Roach » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:47 am

Excelent B2B John.
http://www.reddevilscc.com

CC Greatest game ever!!!!
RD_Roach
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Q.M » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:18 am

Not a bad B2B is it Brian? He's got another one cooking too, I cant keep up with him!
Q.M

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby flamethrower » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks guys, these are fun to do.

So who is going to step up and do a B2B besides Buf, Q.M and me? Any takers?

Also Q.M and I are looking for some help; someone to create a scenario for us in DOFII for this map - Autobn3

flamethrower

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Q.M » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:00 pm

Ah right. Damn neighbours barging in with an esky full of beer.

Basically, in order to achieve a scenario where both sides have no knowlege of the other, on a 'random' given map with no intelligence.

Flame and I are seeking volunteers to create a battle scenario utilising the Autobn3 map as above. To set and limit every aspect and to place the zipped file here for 'pickup'.

The concept is to basically do what the game engine does and decide what where and when. However, in this case utilising the human factor (you) we hope to acheive a better rounded battle than what the game engine can produce, what the AI can play and what a known opponent can do tactically.

Simple enough and takes all of two minutes to produce. If you require anymore details, either PM myself or drop a post here and when my hangover subsides below 8.1, I will reply.

Water.........
Q.M

Like / Share CSO - Post

Return to AAR/B2B Forum

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.