GJS v4.4 Darter vs. UberDave

AAR (After Action Reports) & B2B (Battleplan to Battlefield) Forum

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

GJS v4.4 Darter vs. UberDave

Postby CSO_Darter2 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:03 am

Hey all! I thought I would do a quick AAR myself after not doing one in YEARS! (No “invisa-shrek” debates for all those old timers out there!)

I’m not much for spending a lot of time trying to do a “feel the history” kind of report so I will just say how things went in my own bland words.

First off, I am playing UberDave, an experienced player taking on the role of the Allies. I am the Germans, as usual it seems…LOL (My fiancé gets an odd kick out of that fact for some reason…) and we’re playing GJS v4.4.

It was SO fun playing tonight! I cannot believe I have not done this in so long. I guess going to college at night was a good excuse but this is so much more fun.

Following is all that happened at the end of the morning for Day 1.

GOLD BEACH D-DAY AM

This map is a good one for defense even though the Ost troops are apparently weak. He took out BOTH my AT Guns too! Darn! The second one was frustrating as he could hit the pillbox I was in but I could not hit him… bummer!

I LOVE this gun crew!!

COURSEULLES-SUR-MER D-DAY AM

I never played this map so had to spend some time setting up and planning. Thanks UberD for being so patient!

My ambush is set and my long range MG fire and AT positions have taken their toll… now I just have to wait for him to come into my kill zone. I never saw the chat he placed on the screen until I was reviewing the screenshots…LOL

I got lucky this AM on this map.

SWORD BEACH D-DAY AM

This is what happens when GOOD naval gun fire takes out your center… mushy piles of men and ruins.

I got my butt KICKED all over this map! Break out immanent!

I love this sniper!

MERVILLE BATTERIES D-DAY AM

This was the best battle of the morning I think. There was lots of great action ALL over the place, a real infantry brew-ha-ha. No sneaky Pete silent crawling around but some well coordinated attacks in different directions I needed to repel. All In all, I held my ground but at a dear price!

PEGASUS BRIDGE D-DAY AM

The bloodiest battle I think… lots of carnage all around.

END OF D-DAY AM

CSO_Darter2
Oberstabsfeldwebel
Oberstabsfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: GJS v4.4 Darter vs. UberDave

Postby fj stiener » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:10 am

nice work darter! where was that sniper??
[sorry uberdave..but darter is the under dog here...im kinda a closet kraut too :0 ]
fj stiener

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Atilla » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:43 am

Quite a massacre on the Courseulles beach...thanks for the effort of posting this AAR!

ps. looks like you're a very talented photographer, very nice photos on your website!
Atilla
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Darter2 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:09 pm

@Fj_S, the sniper was in the 4 story building just north of the center of town.

@Attila, thanks for the compliment. I LOVE shooting! I am not as into graphics as I was when I did the Bloody Omaha interface, though I wish I would have worked on this one. (not that there's anything wrong with it) It would have been a fun package to do!
CSO_Darter2
Oberstabsfeldwebel
Oberstabsfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Uberdave » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:23 am

Good AAR, Darter!

Line/Line, 100%, force morale on. Uberdave as Allies, Darter2 as the Germans.

Highlights, June 6th, AM

Gold Beach; Allied offensive proved cautious for friendly armor, as AT gun placement was unknown. Infantry advancement was met with devastating enemy fire which proved lethal, as Darter's IG shows. Allies did manage to knock out 2 enemy AT guns, 1 with a naval barrage, the other with a lucky shot from a DD Sherman. Allied advance was halted at the hedge line.

Lion-sur-Mer; Allies opted for a bold infantry assault on the forward bunkers, supported by 3 DD Shermans and a single Centaur. A skilled German AT gun in the northern area of the sector managed to KO all 3 Shermans and immobilize the Centaur.

Infantry progress was minimal, as German defensive positions proved to be superior. Allies suffered a Total Defeat, and were (humiliatingly) kicked off the beach.

Sword Beach; Allied progress was significant, as a combined arms offensive breached the beach wall and penetrated the town. A highly successful naval barrage was brought down with stunning lethality upon the a key German infantry strongpoint. Allies gained several VLs, as German morale suffered.

Merville; Allied paras cautiously moved north, engaging several German units in the trenches. 3" mortars and a lone Howitzer provided minimal support. Another platoon of paras snuck across the southern edge of the sector in order to expand future deployment zones.

Pegasus Bridge; Germans bolted early for the bridge, but lost many in the process. Allied paras managed to set up several bases of fire, and capture multiple VLs. German Ost troops performed reasonably well, according to intel services. A late airstrike hoped to destroy the enemy's morale...

Uberdave

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Darter2 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:17 pm

This is the AAR for the second ½ of D-Day…

First I would like to say what a tough and good tactician my opponent is.

JUNO BEACH D-DAY PM

UberD caught me off guard when he slipped south from Gold Beach as I was trying to occupy the same beach at the same time. It was a DISASTER of huge proportions for me.

This is how we were initially deployed. As you see, I’ve not a very defensible area, especially vs. tank-supported infantry. YOINKS

After a few desperation moves I finally ran as many units off the map as I could. Never before have I drug a giant selection box over an entire BG and commanded them to RUN before! Oh the humanity!

MERVILLEBATTERIES D-DAY PM

UberD and I exchanged some give and take, with me loosing men trying to hold off an advance through the town. In the end we both basically held the same ground with some Allied advancement into the town and my supply line being cut. This causes me to be fretful…

Initial deploy…

End of battle…

RANVILLE D-DAY PM

I thought I would try to punch my way through with this elite BG and relieve the Ost units at Pegasus Bridge from the south.

Here I am beginning an aggressive hook to the north in order to grab the bridgehead while out of frame units to the south hold the town and offer supporting fire. I managed to take out two light field guns with the loss of one motorized assault gun.

With the corner of the hedges near the chateau acting as the fulcrum I then swung my units in an arc like the wiper blade on a windshield, effectively clearing our allied defensive positions. It was a bloody affair too. They wanted to hold those hedges and fought tenaciously. Now my drive to the bridge could begin… only there was this ONE pesky allied MG unit peppering me I felt I had to eliminate.

In the lower left, you can see where I am directing area fire and moving my two mechanized vehicles with a support unit into position to blast it… or so I thought…

What I didn’t know was that UberD had a frakin 17 pounder hidden somewhere to the south east and I ROLLED right into it’s firing solution… DARN! This cost me a morale break and the battle ended.

PEGASUS BRIDGE D-DAY PM

Basically it was a Mexican standoff for a while with some banter back and forth in chat. Eventually the allies did try to assault but the Ost units held their ground.

One crazy screen I wish to share is this air strike from Hell! Tell me it’s not hitting everything perfect?? It killed a few men too!

Now on to day 2…. See you next week UberD!
CSO_Darter2
Oberstabsfeldwebel
Oberstabsfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Uberdave » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:34 am

Good AAR, Darter. I didn't manage to take any notes or screenshots...Im glad you did!

I can comment on some of the battles;

I swept south from Gold on to Juno, were there was a hellacious struggle in a meeting engagement, as described above. Unfortunately for the Germans, my BG fielded four tanks, which ultimately proved decisive for the Allies (not to mention the 88 pak being destroyed in the first 10 seconds).

In Ranville (an excellent map, IMO...fast becoming my fav!), the German BG tended to strike north, centering on the Chateau as their primary objective. Several German vehicles were destroyed by Allied guns, and the German Pzgren infantry faced tough resistance from the determined Allied paras.

As for Pegasus Bridge...DAMN! I don't remember seeing my airstrike do the much damage...but then again, I wasn't the target north of the Orne!
:action-sm

Ill have more to post (including screens) after our next slugfest on Monday.
Uberdave

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Pzt_Wruff » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:48 pm

Nice aar's.
Man, that airstrike is about as sweet as they come. Whoa!
Pzt_Wruff

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Darter2 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:03 pm

GOLD BEACH D-DAY +1 AM

Once again allied troops land on the sands of this beach. This time their deployment is in the south-eastern corner, leave a good part of the beach open to me. I thought I would try to slow him up a bit and placed my AT gun (which I figured wouldn’t last long anywhere I placed it) and a few snipers on the beach.

For a good part of the battle, UberD had to spend time trying to find these men. So all in all, while I lost a handful of troops, it seemed to work.

COURSEULLES-SUR-MER D-DAY +1 AM

This is the same map I had a total victory at the last time they came ashore so I began with a lot of confidence. Once we started the battle the deployment of the allies was totally different. This time they came from the north and not the sea. I took a little time but I set up a defensive line and placed a few capable units on the other side of the river to slow his advance.

Note the flamer units on both flanks of his approaches. Both covered by good MG fields of fire.

They did a nice job too!

Mmmmm…. I smell bacon….

Once he found out where my AT guns where he called in another devastating naval barrage! I have to learn to spread out a little better….

These men made my day! LOL

CSO_Darter2
Oberstabsfeldwebel
Oberstabsfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Darter2 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:04 pm

SWORD BEACH D-DAY +1 AM

Again the allies deploy from an unexpected direction, this time from the south east corner of the town. Knowing I couldn’t keep the town for long I placed a small holding force to delay the inevitable. They did OK too until he rolled up that GIANT mortar from hell! Darn that thing makes a blast to "shiver yer timbers!"

BENOUVILLE D-DAY +1 AM

The Ost troops that had done such a fine job at Pegasus Bridge were sent to this sector to make room for the assault by the panzergrenadier battle group to that map. I also figured they could act as at least a delay to the Allied advance along this side of the river. What I didn’t count on was a meeting engagement with an armored unit.

This is roughly the initial deployment.

What to do?!!? I decided that the BEST bet was to RUN LIKE HELL!!

The ENTIRE Battle Group hoofing it as fast as those little pixel legs can pump!

Managing to set up a defensive perimeter they some how hung on until the end with little losses… and made it to the exit VL….

MERVILLE BATTERIES D-DAY +1 AM

Nothing of note happened. He advanced a tad; I held a tad… destroyed two of his field guns though…

PEGASUS BRIDGE D-DAY +1 AM

THIS was the battle of the day for me! The others were fun but this was one of those “grab the other guy by the belt with one hand and stab with the other” kind of battles!

My deploy seemed a tad tough but I figured I would go with mainly infantry and leave the vehicles behind, except for one to use as a means to figure out where his guns where. I found out fast!

The paratroopers set up a tight defensive line in the hedges!

I didn’t think I would break out! I can just hear my troops screaming, “Jabos!!!”

Using scouts to flank and search along the hedges I was able to eventually pin point and bear withering fire down on the British positions.

I managed to push him out but lacked the strength to mount an all out offensive on the bridge.

A bloody morning indeed….

CSO_Darter2
Oberstabsfeldwebel
Oberstabsfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Darter2 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:03 pm

GOLD BEACH D-DAY +1 PM

With weakened AT capabilities I really expected the Allies to crush this battle weary group of Ost fighters. Setting up as best I could, I figured I had a slight chance of stopping the advance and my slaughter.

In this first screen you see his attack to the north being stopped in the hedges. Setting up close to them with one Ost squad really helped me pinpoint his squads. This cost me one Ost infantry squad whose mangled bodies can be seen along the back of the hedge.

A few units in the trenches supported by good covering fire were frustrating his advance to the south. Here an air strike tries to eliminate the threat.

With smoke popping, the allies try to cover the last few remaining allied soldiers while their tanks blast away from an angle behind the hedgerow. The tanks really messed up my men but the last survivor managed to run down the trench, under cover of the allied smoke screen, and take out the few allies there before himself falling to fire from the tanks. The allies there were also pinned down by my MG fire and a sniper.

In the end I held… whew!

COURSEULLES-SUR-MER D-DAY +1 PM

The allies made a valiant attempt to gain the exit VL to the Hillman batteries early on. Accurate mortar fire and covering rifle fire thinned the advancing infantry. When they captured the VL and entered the building they were met with flaming death.

The rest of the battle was sit; listen to the background sounds (while watching Mad Max on TV) and wait. As the last minute ticked off, I advanced through the building and took back the exit VL.

TAILLEVILLE D-DAY +1 PM

This was a most frustrating attack by me. The terrain is such that you can only go on two directions and one doesn’t make much sense. I knew he’d have good armored support and sure enough he had one of those tanks with the 280mm mortars right where I needed to go!

Now what really killed me was I had a panzerschrek team in the RIGHT place from the time the clock started. I could get a solid green line to target but every time I ordered them to fire the message, “Target lost – no LOS” or whatever would appear and nothing would happen! UGHH. I had to crawl these guys around for 5 friggin minutes until they fired!

All 6 shots at around 130 yards MISSED!! What the hell!!! Damn it…

That mortar thingy on the other hand does an area fire yards in font of my Stug and presto… scrap metal… I could have wept…

Without proper support my men took some casualties…

BENOUVILLE D-DAY +1 PM

I truly believed I would not hold on this map at all. An allied armored unit, though low on gas and ammo, is still a LOT more dangerous than my weaker Ost BG. I had thought about disbanding them at the strategic phase but figured their acting as fodder in this battle would buy me at least ½ a day to move other units into place.

What drove me the most NUTZ during this battle was I had direst LOS of a tank with one of my AT guns the WHOLE BATTLE but they would not FIRE… the same “no LOS” crap message over and over… I thought I would lose my friggin MIND! What the heck is that all about????

At 218 yards…

At friggin 89 yards!!!

What is up with that???

LOS or No LOS? That is the Question...

In the end though I surprised myself… the Ost units held the exit VL!

Vodka all around!

MERVILLE BATTERIES D-DAY +1 PM

Can you say “DISASTER?” While I didn’t get any decent screens, in a nutshell this was a total disaster for me. Running out of ammo I thought to take a gamble and try for the supply line VL. I figured he would attack with most of his units on my eastern flank and placed blocking forces there. On the western side I still held the hill that protected my flank and I thought he would not consider it a threat as his on assault there had been stopped in a previous battle and I’d not stirred since.

My plan was simple… while his forces pounded on my one side, I would sneak down the other then eliminate what I hoped would be a few mortar teams, if even that…

What I ran into were a number of ½ teams who killed my dudes in the apple orchard… my teams ran out of ammo so darn fast too!

In the end my force morale broke and I lost some VLs including one INSIDE my perimeter!! NO!!!!

RANVILLE D-DAY +1 PM

I attacked into this map with the sole intention of opening the supply lines to the BG to the north at Pegasus Bridge. Knowing how well my opponent places his AT guns I played it cool and careful. My first step was expanding my foothold on the map. To that end I assaulted to the north while a holding force secured my southern flank, just like last time.

Unlike last time though I moved more slowly, using scouts to probe the way while being covered by powerful units.

Moving along the hedges I didn’t encounter the paratroopers where I had last time. My armor followed in single file, covering each other and the advance while staying protected from long range AT guns to the south.

Finding his troops in the hedges on the far side of the orchard I began to swing my units around to flank him with infantry and tanks while anchoring a few units in the chateau.

Text book assault… sometimes they work… LOL

We ended here with one more battle to go…

(Does any one read these?? Am I putting too many images in???)
CSO_Darter2
Oberstabsfeldwebel
Oberstabsfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Atilla » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:26 pm

Sure I'm reading them! Thanks for the effort of posting these, I'm enjoying them a lot!
Atilla
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby KilovskiMkIII » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:14 pm

(Does any one read these?? Am I putting too many images in???)

Yeah!, they're great, keep 'em coming, the more pictures the better :D
Ultima Ratio Regum
(inscription on the cannon of Loius XIV)
The Final Argument of Kings - War.
D|\
KilovskiMkIII

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Russ109 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:30 pm

Darter

You keep on posting these battle reports and we WILL keep on reading them..................there great.

Both of you are putting up a good fight, looking forward to the next round.
Russ109

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby dgfred » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:38 pm

Russ109 wrote:Darter

You keep on posting these battle reports and we WILL keep on reading them..................there great.

Both of you are putting up a good fight, looking forward to the next round.

Exactly correct!! Keep 'em coming.
dgfred

Like / Share CSO - Post

Next

Return to AAR/B2B Forum

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.