"Reich on the Rocks" Campaign; Elite Tanks vs ArmeeGruppeSud

AAR (After Action Reports) & B2B (Battleplan to Battlefield) Forum

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

Re: "Reich on the Rocks" Campaign; Elite Tanks vs ArmeeGruppeSud

Postby ArmeeGruppeSud » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:21 pm

First I must apologise for not updating this thread for so long. This has been due to several reasons including a major lack of time. Fortuanely, I have had enough time to finish 3 operations of the "Reich on the rocks" campaign against Elite Tanks (Rhuey).

Anyway, I was 6/3 up after 6 operations.

Operation 7 --- "Goldap Operation"
In the "Goldap Operation" Elite Tanks stormed into Prussia taking the 5th map on day 10! The 3 points from his Decisive Victory leveled the campaign score 6 all.

Operation 8 --- "Prussian revenge"
With the help of Hosbach's army, I regained the lead, with a Major Victory in the "Prussian revenge" operation, winning in 11 days! (I have adjusted both the Prussian OPs for DOF2 to make them a little more defender friendly)

Operation 9 --- "Operation Sonnenwende"
This link is to an article giving the Historical details of "Operation Sonnenwende".
http://www.historic-battles.com/Articles/Operation%20Sonnenwende.htm
My battlegroup successfully liberated the garrison at Arnswalde, captured the 5th map on day 15, just snatching a Minor Victory to increase my lead back to 3 points.

The pics below are, the Operation Debrief Screen for "Operation Sonnenwende", and the Campaign screen after 9 operations.

Of the 5 remaing OPs, 4 of them are Soviet attacks!
The DOF2 mod's plugin download is back up.

You can download the Der Ost Front 2 mod (22.90 MB) at the top of this page (DOF Version 2 MAIN)

You can also now download the DOF2 MAPPACK (762.11 MB) on this page
May we meet for D\- Image D#c% at
the restaurant at the end of the universe
ArmeeGruppeSud

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby SG_Igor » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:09 am

Great fight you got out there! Btw how did you attach thumbnail pictures in your previous posts? I see I can only insert full image, or link to the image :confused:
SG_Igor

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ArmeeGruppeSud » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:49 pm

SG_Igor wrote:Great fight you got out there! Btw how did you attach thumbnail pictures in your previous posts? I see I can only insert full image, or link to the image :confused:
Realy dont know M8, I did exactly the same with the previous post as all the others. All the previous pictures I attached came out as thumbprints, but now only like the last post %\

You can download the Der Ost Front 2 mod (22.90 MB) at the top of this page (DOF Version 2 MAIN)

ArmeeGruppeSud

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ArmeeGruppeSud » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:14 pm

The next operation in the Campaign is Pommernstellung (Pomeranian Fortress).
History
The Soviets were surprised by the Sonnenwende operation and feared further attacks from Pomerania, so they decided to clear the Pomeranian flank so removing any risk of their Berlin spearhead being cut off.

My forces were pushed back relentlessly by the Soviet hordes of Elite Tank who gained a Minor Victory.

My Campaign lead was whittled back to 2 points.

ArmeeGruppeSud

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Boar » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:13 am

Very cool AAR guys. Nice to see the old CC3 fighting style!
Boar

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ArmeeGruppeSud » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:53 pm

The next operation is the Last German offensive/The Push to the Danube

Historical background:
Tuesday, March 6, 1945
The German forces in Hungary launch a major counteroffensive in the area just north of Lake Balaton. The 6th SS Panzer Army, which was withdrawn from the Ardennes battle early in January, has been moved here to spearhead the attack. The 6th SS Panzer Army is bolstered with units withdrawn from the Sonnenwende operation. Other units from Army Group South (Wohler) also take part in the offensive. The operation is code named "Frühlingserwachen" or "Spring Awakening". The German aim is to retake all the territory between Lake Balaton and the Danube so as to hold on to the Zala oil fields.
The Soviet 27th Army(Trofimenko), defending along the targeted line of advance, is forced to give ground initially. However, 3rd Ukrainian Front (Tolbukhin) responds with the allotment of reserves to slow the advance down.

The H2H operation.
Fighting through the muddy woodlands was very tough going. I hate Sapernaya and Ognemet teams. Had to employ SdKfz 251/16s to burn them out. Tanks are a liability in these woods. Only used one or two AFVs each battle (one was a Brumbar). Guns were also of limited use in thick woodland.
Most of the operation I was fielding 3 mortars to hammer the Sapernayas and those accursed BiS guns.

Thanks to a very bold strategy on the first day I managed to take map 1 in 3 days.
Unfortunately, the next 2 maps took 8 days of cruel slaughter to capture.
Map 4 took 3 days leaving me a solitary day on the final map.

Amazingly, I came miraculously close to snatching a drawn operation.
If only my infantry kept going (5m) under distant fire to get just one more VL (the defenders of the VL had been anihilated a minute earlier).

Result:
Major Victory to Soviet Hordes of my Ruthless opponent Elite Tanks
This again levels the campaign scores!!! %\

Only 3 OPs to go. ALL Soviet attacks!

Dont view attached image at bottom of this post, it is the picture below

ArmeeGruppeSud

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ArmeeGruppeSud » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:50 pm

Guten Tag Alles

Sorry this thread has not been updated for so long.

Have not played a lot of H2H in recent months and have only completed one more operation The Balaton Offensive.

It was hard going for the German attack on these muddy wooded maps.
Likewise, the Elite Tanks' Soviets struggled to move forward.
After 14 days of battle, they were still on map 4.

This is my forcepool before shopping for last day. 70 RP to spend WooHoo!!!

This is the map before deployment. Image

Most of my forces were deployed around the VL in top left corner of course. The far right and far bottom units are snipers. 2 MGs were on the treeline. The Gestopo, Pioniere and Schutzen can be seen in that order from left to right. The attack on the west wood was primarily from the south the previous day.

The Soviets threw it all in, in an effort to take the last VLs. The attack came from the east flank this time and I had to shuffle my units to counter this new direction
The OT-34 Flame tank got past the PanzerFausts only losing its cannon and fried my Schutzen and most of my flame Pioniere while Shturmevaya and Sapernaya overrann my mortars.

Fortunately, I still had 2 of my Pionieres, they had been stunned for a short time but fortunately recovered in time to deal with the OT in the last 10 seconds.

My men, what was left of them, held out denying the Soviets the capture of map 4.
Dont bother viewing the thumbnails below as they are the pics above

ArmeeGruppeSud

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ArmeeGruppeSud » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:15 pm

This is a continuation of the last post

Here is the Operation Debrief Screen for the The Balaton Offensive operation.

This campaign Debrief Screen after 12 of 14 operations.
The 2 points from the Major Victory gave me a 2 point lead with 2 operations to go.
Dont bother viewing the thumbnails below as they are the pics above

ArmeeGruppeSud

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ArmeeGruppeSud » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:42 pm

The 14th operation is "The Oder Crossing"

Day1, the Soviets of Elite Tanks made little headway.

Day2 was little better, the Germans held both bridges at the end of the day. The pic belows is my deployment at begging Day2. The 88 is sitting well back and the 15cmFH was on hill top of map. It was destroyed after firing one round.
This operation was found to be unduly hard for the Soviets and was amended for DOF2.
Day3, I made a sporting withdrawal from the 1st map.

Day 4 (map2) again the soviets made little headway against determined German resistance

The 1st action saw mortar fire used by both sides. Soviet infantry assaulting the farmhouse suffered heavily from MG and mortarfire.
Soviet Heavy mortars eventually wiped out the MG team covering the farmhouse.
The Soviets pushed along the north side of the road but were halted by fantical resistance from Hitlerjungend supported by MG and mortarfire.

The soviets were so badly mauled today that the MG team at the top of the map moved forward and recaptured the farmhouse!

The 15cm gun at the bottom was destroyed but not before damaging a Soviet tank

Yes, the Battle debrief screen is a prototype for DOF2

ArmeeGruppeSud

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ArmeeGruppeSud » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:13 am

SORRY GUYS FOR TAKING SO LONG TO UPDATE THIS THREAD

It has been a long time since the Campaign was finished so I will not be able to give much detail.

ODER CROSSING OPERATION;

DAY 5
The Soviets made a bold armoured thrust from behind the hill at the bottom of the map. The defenders down there were wiped out.

For the 1st time in H2H campaigns I bought a Hetzer (on the west bank), but it got wasted by a JS2

After crushing the southern defenders, the Soviet armour turned north only to be picked off by the 88 in the woods just above the Autobahn.
-----------------------

DAY 6
The Soviets capture map2 and reach the Oder River

-----------------------
DAY 7
The Soviets Cross the Oder and make headway on map 3
--------------------

ArmeeGruppeSud

Like / Share CSO - Post

Previous

Return to AAR/B2B Forum

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.