Close Combat Cross of Iron - Interviews / Previews / Reviews

CSO General Forum for CC and CSO related topics

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

Close Combat Cross of Iron - Interviews / Previews / Reviews

Postby Sulla » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:26 pm

Hia Guys,

I wil post a link of all interviews, previews etc etc that are posted and keep them central in this post:

Gamespot: (Interview)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6160284.html?sid=6160284&tag=latestnews;title;1

Armchair General: (Interview)
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/articles.php?p=2992&page=1&cat=59

Wargamer:
http://www.wargamer.com/articles/close_combat_interview/

More soon,

Sulla

Art Of Combat - Forums[TAOC] - The Next Generation Tactical Simulation - Taking over where CC Left Off Coming Soon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TACKOM LTD - Developer of Art of Combat - Website
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy - Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix
sulla@closecombat.org
Skype - imperator_sulla
Games I Have Worked On .....

Sulla

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: Close Combat Cross of Iron - Interviews / Previews / Reviews

Postby Llyranor » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:43 pm

"We have not officially decided but plan on releasing two bundle packs. Close Combat Battle Pack Volume 1 which will have Close Combat II (A Bridge Too Far) and Close Combat IV (Battle of the Bulge). Volume 2 will have Close Combat II (Russian Front) and Close Combat V (Normandy). These games will be available via digital download and our Game On Demand service."

Isn't Cross of Iron the rerelease of CC3, or is another game altogether?
Llyranor

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Sulla » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:01 am

Isn't Cross of Iron the rerelease of CC3, or is another game altogether

Hia mate, the way that read was misleading, it was part of the way the deal was originally set up. CC CoI is an updated and revamped version of CCIII ;)

Sulla

Art Of Combat - Forums[TAOC] - The Next Generation Tactical Simulation - Taking over where CC Left Off Coming Soon

Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
sulla@closecombat.org
Skype - imperator_sulla

Sulla

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Yellow_1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:09 pm

Just a question are yu fixing the problem with the cash on the operations? when played on multi the amount of cash spent had to be agreed by players after first battle.Iknow it isnt a good questin but yu never know... might be it was forgotten...
CSO_Yellow_1

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Gnartron » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:07 am

any of them new? o I suppose if I look i'd know eh..ahah I have the CC jonse
Gnartron

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Sulla » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:35 am

New Review of CC: CoI

Close Combat: Cross of Iron Review Click Here

Score - A tremendous updated version of Close Combat III is filled to the brim with improved AI, a new scenario, community modifications, and engine tweaks: 7/8

Quote:
If you’ve never played the Close Combat series, you’re really missing out on a great tactical strategy game. If you have, then Close Combat: Cross of Iron treads familiar ground, but the compatibility improvements and game enhancements are enough to justify a look. Close Combat: Cross of Iron has a lot of scenarios covering battles, operations, and campaigns on the Eastern Front of World War II: plenty to keep you busy. The tweaks made to the game are meaningful and driven by user feedback, and the replay value is high with the included modification tools and multiplayer components. Because the game has been out for quite a while, there are already a huge number of modifications and additional battles available, and the community is feverishly converting them over to this title. This is by far the best of the Matrix remakes so far, and even though Close Combat: Cross of Iron appears to be a superficial revision to a nine-year-old game, the added content makes the game a notable improvement.

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2007/03/close-combat-cross-of-iron-review.html

Sulla

sulla@closecombat.org
Skype - imperator_sulla

Sulla

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Sulla » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:42 am

2 More Reviews:

Finish Mag Review:
http://plaza.fi/harrastukset/edome/arvostelut/close-combat-cross-of-iron

No score but "highly recommended"

------------------

Blue Alien

Score - 8.6/10.0
Close Combat: Cross of Iron is a welcome update to a classic wargame. The weakest points are the still outdated graphics but the gameplay is still as solid as it was when Close Combat III: The Russian Front debuted almost a decade ago. The expanded multiplayer and level editing capability make this game an excellent value for the dollar.

http://bluealien.org/node/238

Sulla

sulla@closecombat.org
Skype - imperator_sulla

Sulla

Like / Share CSO - Post

Wargamer Review of CoI - Interviews / Previews / Reviews

Postby Sulla » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Hia Guys,

Wargamer have just posted a new review by Bill Trotter of CoI:

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/crossofiron/

"WHAT'S NEW, WHAT'S BEEN TWEAKED, AND WHAT YOU'LL GET FOR YOUR MONEY
Close Combat - Cross of Iron isn't a cheap game, nor is it an entirely new and major evolutionary advancement from its predecessors. (This is where all you veteran players can rejoin us; I hope I've explained the basic game and touted its virtues enough for the new-comers to learn what all the excitement is about). At the start of this critique, though, I did assure veteran players that it's worth their time and money, so now it's time to tell them why. Here's a bulleted list of the salient attractions:

Close Combat - Cross of Iron comes with all the Battles, Operations, and Campaigns found in Close Combat III, plus battles, ops and campaigns built around 26 new maps and six modified carry-over maps. The new scenarios are set during the period 1943-1944, which means they generally present the German player with a somewhat greater degree of challenge than the battles that occurred during the first years of "Barbarossa". "Major" victories are often not easily won; "Decisive" victories come only to the commander who's mastered the art of playing and knows how to handle his assets with considerable finesse. Jawohl, the tide now runneth against the Wehrmacht, but that only means that victories wrested from difficult situations will bring you more glory! Overall, I found the new battles extremely fulfilling.

All compatibility issues (at least all that have been encountered so far…with Windows XP, it is rash to make predictions); virtually no lock-ups or crashes have been reported and I experienced no anomalies whatever in the fifty or so games I've played thus far;

Team, Unit, Weapon, and Terrain features have received a multitude of graphic enhancements, some obvious, most fairly subtle; but in the aggregate…a lot of good work has been done. Don't get me wrong: this game does show its age, especially in the chunkiness of the close-up Spyglass views, but at the normal viewing level the artwork still pulls the plow - I'm not sure what sort of refinements could or should be made at that scale, unless some programming whiz figures out how to implement a 3D mode, and I personally think that would be about as useful, in this particular game, as tits on a banjo.

There's a new and decidedly idiosyncratic Grand Campaign entitled Fuger's Ostliche Wut, '43-'44, and I, for one, am hooked on it; it's very dynamic, chock-full of challenging and varied tactical situations, and has a rewarding sense of cumulative momentum. I expect to play this one to the bitter end.

Among the main gripes leveled at Close Combat III was the sometimes overwhelming prevalence of Soviet armor. True, the Red Army burned up tanks at a prodigious rate, and after Kursk the Russian side always enjoyed numerical superiority, sometimes to a grotesque degree; but not always or even very often in battles of this limited scale. That imbalance has been corrected - in fact, all the battles I've fought so far have been very nicely balanced, on the average, although of course the odds may be heavily against you from time to time, in individual encounters (but you wouldn't have it any other way, now, would you, Sergeant Steiner?)

A plethora of new and exceedingly puissant sound effects have been either created or imported from successful mods with woofer-rattling decibel levels (such as Close Combat -IV, Battle of the Bulge). In compensation, you can now slide-adjust the volume level (so you won't get un-nerved when that deranged gut-shot guy starts screaming "The blood! The blood!"
There's a host of other minor tweaks, both technical and game-play-oriented, and all of them were suggested, and driven, by user feedback. Considering that the last commercial edition of Close Combat appeared nine years ago, the loyalty and depth of passion evidenced by the fan-base is quite phenomenal; at last count, there were almost 5,000 custom maps, skins, battle-and-campaign mods posted on-line, many of superlative quality. If you're in the mood for some head-to-head fun, you won't have to wait in line or search very hard for someone compatible to match wits with. These guys are serious students of the military arts, but they're also on-line to have fun, and the incidence of misbehavior is practically nil, due to the fact that the community at large has elected not to tolerate any fan-boy shenanigans. There is, dare I say it, a prevailing sense of honor amongst these digital warriors - one's enemy deserves respect, as long as he has fought hard and to the best extent of his skills; of course, if he's a complete bone-head, you might encounter a slight Prussian sneer in the inter-personal dialogues, but rarely any snot-nosed gloating. "

Its a long and well writen review and has a brilliant AAR written !

Cheers

Sulla

sulla@closecombat.org
Skype - imperator_sulla

Sulla

Like / Share CSO - Post

Return to CSO CC Discussion Forums

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.