Fast, photo-realistic maps

CC Mod and Map Makers Forum

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

Fast, photo-realistic maps

Postby Hooligan » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:06 pm

Map graphics below were generated using 15cm resolution orthophotography, Digital Raster Graphics (.tif of the topo) and 30m Digital Elevation Model for the height bumpmap. Only "art" skills required were resizing and cropping. Ready to make roof files and code for terrain in less than an hour.

GIS files used were freely available from the Univ. Indiana site. Other states/orgs offer similar. Worthwhile for the wealth of 'real' terrain textures alone.

DEM bumpmap vs minimap topo:
Image Image
Hooligan

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: Fast, photo-realistic maps

Postby anzac_lord4war » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:51 pm

looks kool.
maybe th emap could be zoomed in 1 more size.
anzac_lord4war

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Hooligan » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:37 am

Aerial image map was purposely scaled so X meters on the terrain = X meters in-game.

Enlarging a 15cm reveals even more detail but I'd rather sumbuddy unpack the sprites & shrink them closer to map scale :}

Til then its easier on middle-aged eyes picking out my cartoon warriors from a high contrast background.
Hooligan

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Nembo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:19 am

Does Hooligan=Mick(xe5)
or...
is Hooligan just copying and pasting everything Mick posts over at Ryan's board?
Nembo
Invasion Norway
For CCII.
Nembo

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Q.M » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:41 am

Hooligan...now theres a name from another time and another forum...

Til then its easier on middle-aged eyes picking out my cartoon warriors from a high contrast background

True you should see the nose prints on my flat screen, even with reading glasses the little buggers hide so well.
Q.M

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Sbufkle » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:16 pm

Two things...

First of all.. flip so the shaodws match the vehicle ones.

Secondly.

I just find it looks crappy overlaying cartoonish graphics over a real terrian image.

Its like a movie where they superimpose a cartoon to go alongside otherwise a real environment... ACK......

Nice idea Mick, but I feel ity falls short. Maybe its because I love graphics, but I cant take it as seriously when it doesnt blend well at all.

But what do I know? Im noty priviledged enough to do this stuff for a living or anything.
CSO_Sbufkle

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:54 pm

Agreed, an image of real terrain clearly "falls short" of looking like a cartoon. If I loved graphics enough I'd prolly try to improve realism by making it look more cartoonish.
Hooligan

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:43 pm

Zoomed and flipped for the purists :}

Hooligan

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby animosity242 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:56 pm

I think the maps look absolutely fantastic. Instead of making maps look cartoonish, the soldiers and vehicles need to be more realistic. Why not take the same approach as the maps. Get a digital camera and take overhead shots of the vehicles and resize and crop. You'll get exact color matches and no outlines or solid black lines. That'll eliminate the cartoonish effect.
animosity242

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby philip_wells » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:01 am

animosity242 wrote:Get a digital camera and take overhead shots of the vehicles and resize and crop.

I think that is where the problem lies.

To rapidly produce maps I think this has a lot of scope and I would like to encourage the work. Tweaking the map seems the way forward to make it more symapthetic to the other graphics.
philip_wells
Stabsfeldwebel
Stabsfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby animosity242 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:07 pm

philip_wells wrote:I think that is where the problem lies.

You think there's a problem with taking pictures of vehicles? To the contrary, it would be remarkably easy. Maybe easier for the Simtek team but not impossible for the rest of us. The problem would lie with access not the picture taking. I'm sure that any commander with familiarity of the game (sorry, Tactical Decision-Making Simulator) would allow it. As far as the actual picture-taking goes, well, it depends on your access. Got a HMMWV license? Great. Park it next to a tall building and snap 10 shots out the 4th floor window. Want an abrams pic? They keep them in pretty big bays. Climb up (or get a volunteer) to the rafters and snap away. You get the idea. OPFOR vehicles might be a challenge. You might be able to get good shots at Aberdeen proving grounds in MD. Here's an Idea: How about photographing a model. How would you like this as your Abrams or Bradley?
animosity242

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Von_B » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:37 pm

Hooligan wrote:Zoomed and flipped for the purists :}

Who would object to playing on a map looking like this? (apart from you naturally sbufkle...)
Nice idea Mick, but I feel ity falls short. Maybe its because I love graphics, but I cant take it as seriously when it doesnt blend well at all.
Terrain is excellent, as good as any hand drawn map if not better than most, but how to handle trees and stuff? Lot of 'tweaking' to be done there?
[font=Arial]SILENCE! when you speak to an Officer![size=17]
Fourty Two
http://www.thewizard.org
[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana]What goes around, comes around....[/font]
Von_B

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Sbufkle » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:02 pm

CSO Beeblebrox wrote:Who would object to playing on a map looking like this? (apart from you naturally sbufkle...) Terrain is excellent, as good as any hand drawn map if not better than most, but how to handle trees and stuff? Lot of 'tweaking' to be done there?

! Factor in how the smoke looks & ground craters then look at the map, if the goal is two steps backwards... then by all means.

But what do I know?
CSO_Sbufkle

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Nembo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:50 pm

CSO Beeblebrox wrote:Who would object to playing on a map looking like this?

I would object.
Nembo
Invasion Norway
For CCII.
Nembo

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby TTorpedo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:54 pm

Nembo wrote:I would object.

likwise
Everything as to blend, map, objects and efects
TTorpedo

Like / Share CSO - Post

Next

Return to Mod And Map Making Forum

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.