Making an oponent out of AI

CC Mod and Map Makers Forum

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

Making an oponent out of AI

Postby Nutch/CVS [Bot] » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 pm

It seems most of cc seems to be played with AI no matter how much we moan about him. Hoping this thread will collect some ideas on how we can help him.

I currently play COI WF10 by Zon but I use some modified files.
TT created a great cc4 vetmod and IMHO it was the big AI teams that made the biggest impact to a more aggressive AI.
This is true with coi, infact when I made all german teams big, they stormed the beaches on the first day even though they held all the VLs.
So big teams or more bodies on the ground than you does get them to attack, but this is no good if they are supposed to be on the defense and bigger teams are easier to spot so no good for ambushing AT infantry or Mgs in church steeples.
Weapon selected also seems to be difficult for AI. In attacking he chooses an ATG then hes got a halftrack on defence.
My solution was to create new team files where each infantry type has 2 slots, one with a few men and mgs, the other with many men and assault mgs. Changes to rarity allow changes between each team size also between defensive type weapons such as ATGs and HMGs and assault type weapons like tanks etc.
Then I duplicate the files and modify rarity so one file is suitable for defence and the other attack.
A new campaign is created where the first battle for each op is always a meeting engagement with VLs in the middle and barrages covering the vls to stop the human rushing in first.
The AI 'attack' teams.txt file is copied into the base folder and he plays with that untill it develops where he has all/most of vls then the AI 'defence' team file is copied over.

It may seem like a palarva but it is keeping the game entertaining and I am not twiddleing my thumbs waiting for action.

My next step may be to create different AI 'defence and attack' elements files to swap over depending on the AIs situation. If he's attacking the elements will allow quicker movement over various terrain and impassable elements such as deep water would change to streams etc. On defence the cover values would be increased to give him better ambush advantages.

As a side, he did surprise me the other day. I had a command sherman protecting my only vl together with a 17pounder. He sneaked a mg team to about 40 metres behind them then slaughtered the 17pdr grew before my tank could swivel and fire. But i only counted 2 bodies... just as i thought should,nt there be 3?..., i heared the sound of a pzf30 and my tank was brewed. The surviving machine gunner then strolled over and took the vl.

Anyone got any other ideas for our mate AI?
Nutch/CVS [Bot]
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: Making an oponent out of AI

Postby CSO_Linebacker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:03 am

If you are playing CC4 or CC5, try messing with the btds. You can have up to 16 VLs, and am finding out that with more VLs, the AI keeps moving forward better.
CSO_Linebacker
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby squadleader_id » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:35 am

Interesting...I thought the AI only goes for the 200pts VLs...and they have to be near the middle of the map to be effective 'bait'.
By more VLs...do you mean lesser points VLs or high value VLs?
squadleader_id
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Roel » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:25 pm

squadleader_id wrote:Interesting...I thought the AI only goes for the 200pts VLs...and they have to be near the middle of the map to be effective 'bait'.
By more VLs...do you mean lesser points VLs or high value VLs?

From observation and experiment, it appears to me that the AI usually goes for the highest value, nearest VL (in that order). Using the maximum of 16 VLs and putting all non-exit VLs at the same value seems to bring some variety in the AI line of advance (in any case, the less VLs you use, the more predictable the AI becomes).

BTW: using all 16VLs has the added advantage that it minimizes the 'creeping German control' phenomenon (more important from an H2H point of view).

Regards,

Roel
Roel
Obergerfreiter
Obergerfreiter

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Talorgan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:50 pm

Roel wrote:the 'creeping German control' phenomenon

What is this?
CSO_Talorgan
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Roel » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:56 pm

CSO_Talorgan wrote:What is this?

It's the fact that the game system 'favours' the German side when determining tile control after a battle. Roughly, it means that even when no additional terrain was taken, the German side will gain control of adjacent tiles, unless an Allied unit or a VL is present. No such thing happens for the Allied side.

To test it f.i. in GJS, set up a meeting engagement, choose one mortar team for both sides, and truce right after starting the battle (the AI will accept after 10 sec). Now look at the gains made on the map.

So, the more VL present on a map, the more possible 'beacons of control' to counter the creeping effect...

Cheers,
Roel
Roel
Obergerfreiter
Obergerfreiter

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Talorgan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:34 pm

Hadn't appreciated this.

Cheers!
CSO_Talorgan
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Return to Mod And Map Making Forum

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.