Tree Mod stuff - CC3

CC Mod and Map Makers Forum

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

Tree Mod stuff - CC3

Postby GameRat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi all,
Writing here to ask for some advice about creating a tree mod for CC3.
Just installed a free version of bryce 5.5, and am wondering if there is any information around here that would help a person new to bryce, as well as the procedure for modding the CC3 files to get the bryce trees in game.

I'm wondering about things like certain settings in bryce that may be needed to prevent any stray pixels (if that's is even a problem), or any other tip that would save a person time and frustration.

Getting new trees and creating a trench graphic brought my project to a grinding halt some time ago, but I'm ready to try and tackle the tree part of it now ... hopefully with some friendly advice from people in the know. :)

David
GameRat
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: Tree Mod stuff - CC3

Postby Mafi » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi David,

the tree graphics of CC3 are stored in the Terrain file.
Perhaps my recently updated CC2Guide-TerrainFile might be of help
making the graphics and the file itself.

You must ensure to have the graphics
- with a sharp cutting edge around, no smooth aliasing,
- dont forget some kind of darker area (shadow) on the tree itself in the lower right corner,
- for size of graphic please look at the stock CC3 trees.
- when using CC2Spriter to pack/unpack Terrain file save the graphics as 16-bit TARGA uncompressed.
- it is possible (like in CC2) to enclose the tree's shadow with a special light green color into the graphics, in this case you must change the graphic hotpoint location.
- you can enlarge the graphics area, bigger graphics will cause more cpu time during play,

Good luck

Mafi
http://closecombat2.fortunecity.com/GuideList.html
"Don't be too proud of the new high-tech-terror you just have invented!" (Darth Vader, Episode IV)
Mafi

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Linebacker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:48 pm

When rendering in Bryce, make sure that you have AA turned off, otherwise you will get some of those partially transparent pixels on the outer edges.
CSO_Linebacker
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Senior Drill » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:39 pm

Whether using 3C or 5CC for tree placement, take the extra time needed to have a wide and varied tree shadow library in the respective files. Too many maps use the same few stock shadows that add uniformity rather than diversity to the maps. The more tree shadows you have, the greater the artistic choices you have.

Remember that some trees can have hollow spaces in the foliage coverage when viewed from top down, so it is ok to sprinkle some transparent areas on logical interior places.

Rotate and flip is your friend if you control the shading as a mask layer. One good tree can become four trees if you can keep the shadowing oriented right.

In general, CC3 trees are lighter and use more vivid hues than CC4 and CC5 maps. Stock CC3 trees look out of place on a CC5 map and CC5 trees look dingy on a CC3 map. All look cartoonish on a photo realistic map. Brecourt Manor trees need to fit the Brecourt Manor map image.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. - Pierre Bosquet, 1854
Senior Drill

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby GameRat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:05 pm

Mafi,
Thanks for the info and for your excellent mod tools.
Also, you mentioned having the tree shadow included with the tree ... Do you know how to do this? Is it just a matter of changing the shadow color to that specific CC green before repacking?

David
GameRat
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby GameRat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:08 pm

CSO_Linebacker,
Thanks for the bryce tip ... that is what I needed to know.
Now I just have to figure out the bryce program so I can figure out files sizes, have to change the shadow direction, and several other things. Guess I better read the manual a little more. :D

David
GameRat
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Senior Drill » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:14 pm

Yes, Dave, that is it. You can make a colored tree graphic with a shadow as a complete package using that particular lime green (I think it is shadow by CC default, but I'm not sure).
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. - Pierre Bosquet, 1854
Senior Drill

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby GameRat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Senior Drill,
Thanks for the info.
I agree, having varied shadows is a good thing, and I too like having some transparent pixels to see what's going on under the canopy ... especially in Normandy.

I'm not too smart when it comes to mask layer stuff, but will look into it.

And yes the trees need to look way better than normal CC trees if it's gonna have any chance of looking right. I'm sure it's not going to be a perfect match, but having a little variation may not be too bad a thing ... since it may make the trees contrast somewhat from the hedges.

David
GameRat
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Linebacker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:23 pm

GameRat wrote:Mafi,
Thanks for the info and for your excellent mod tools.
Also, you mentioned having the tree shadow included with the tree ... Do you know how to do this? Is it just a matter of changing the shadow color to that specific CC green before repacking?

David

I tested this, because I too wanted to just have the shadows included in the sprite...ala CC2. The problem when testing this with CC3/4/5/...was that a player could track where their opponents teams were by watching the shadows. When soldier or vehicle sprites crossed over the shadows, they became fully opaque, so you could follow the path of your opponents troops without actually seeing them.
CSO_Linebacker
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby GameRat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:26 pm

Senior Drill wrote:Yes, Dave, that is it. You can make a colored tree graphic with a shadow as a complete package using that particular lime green (I think it is shadow by CC default, but I'm not sure).

Thanks Senior Drill,
I'll give it a try. I have some unpacked images with that lime green that I can use to copy that color. Would be a good way to do trees if it works ... just wondering if the shadow will still be under any moving soldiers, vehicles, etc?
GameRat
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby GameRat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:29 pm

CSO_Linebacker wrote:I tested this, because I too wanted to just have the shadows included in the sprite...ala CC2. The problem when testing this with CC3/4/5/...was that a player could track where their opponents teams were by watching the shadows. When soldier or vehicle sprites crossed over the shadows, they became fully opaque, so you could follow the path of your opponents troops without actually seeing them.

Thanks Linebacker ... you already had it figured out.
GameRat
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Bryce file to CC

Postby GameRat » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:02 am

Hi,
I've got the bryce trees pretty much figured out, but am now wondering what is the best method of getting them out of bryce and into CC.

I noticed when I save the bryce tree image as a .psd file ... it includes the background and the shadow. Is there a way to save the image with the shadow on a separate layer and without the background ... or does this have to be done in photoshop. if so ... how?

Thanks
GameRat
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby CSO_Talorgan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:00 pm

Does Bryce contain everything you need to draw a map graphic?
CSO_Talorgan
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Like / Share CSO - Post

Mafi ... tools question

Postby GameRat » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:47 am

Hi Mafi,
I used your "CC2Spriter v2.91" to unpack the Terrain file I am working on to add new tree graphics (Terrain file based on WF 9.1 CC3).
I unpacked the Terrain file and then replaced a .tga file with a test image tree graphic. Then repacked it.

Then I opened up 5CC in order to place the test tree on a map. But when I went to select the tree file number from the element selector ... I noticed there is 255 elements, but in the Terrain file I unpacked, there is 447.

So I am not sure how to relate these numbers to each other in order to select the test tree graphic.

Any ideas?

Thanks
David
GameRat
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby GameRat » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:12 am

Upon further investigation, it appears I need a CC3TerrainAppendixReport.xls ... anyone know where I can find this?
GameRat
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

Next

Return to Mod And Map Making Forum

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.