The Tactical Art of Combat

The Tactical Art of Combat - This is the title of the next generation of Close Combat. News and updates will be posted here and on the developers and publishers sites. This is the next generation of CC that we have waited so long for. Stay tuned.......

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

Postby Sulla » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:49 am

Hia All,

This is the title of the next generation of Close Combat. News and updates will be posted here and on the developers and publishers sites.

This is the next generation of CC that we have waited so long for. Here is a good lace to post ideas, comments, suggestions.

You can sign up for beta testing here, previous experience would be of benefit.

Details to follow shortly.

Stay tuned.......

Art Of Combat - Forums[TAOC] - The Next Generation Tactical Simulation - Taking over where CC Left Off Coming Soon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TACKOM LTD - Developer of Art of Combat - Website
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy - Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix
sulla@closecombat.org
Skype - imperator_sulla
Games I Have Worked On .....

Sulla

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: The Tactical Art of Combat

Postby Pete » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Wow this is exciting news! Can't wait to read more about this.
Staying tuned....
Pete
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Pete » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Also, count me in for beta testing.
Pete
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby SchnelleMeyer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:12 am

Sounds very interesting.

I'll be following any development on this.
SchnelleMeyer
Obergerfreiter
Obergerfreiter

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ReconScout » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:37 am

Having played close combat since 2000 a new version is welcome news. I hope the designers will listen to input from us players more. Seemed the last several games followed the same platform with few real changes that I would like to see. I think CC3/COI was the best platform of all.
ReconScout
Felwbel
Felwbel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Sulla » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:13 am

Hi Guys,

Ok basic outline and what will be happening.

• Dev team, already being put together [almost complete - Some ol faces, lots of new].
  • New development company.
  • A complete reworking of CC. NOT a remake, a new engine, a new AI, a new look at a close combat game.
  • No half measures, no Matrix, S3T, Simtek or Slitherine involved.
  • No $6 Million spent to end up with an unplayable [not even] a demo. No Red Phoenix
  • A totally new strategy layer, that reflects reality, supply, logistics and follows YOUR progress, not arbitrary. Flanking and counter attacks that reflect tactical realities.
  • Keeping what works. [top down]
  • Rebuilding and redesigning things that desperately need changing.
  • Top down + Isometric views. [Option!]
  • 2 distinct layers, TAI and SAI [An SAI WORTH the name]
  • Decent funding, so the game can be what it should have been years ago.
  • Brand new publisher.
  • Game will NOT be called CC it will be either "The Tactical Art of Combat" or the "The Tactical Art of Close Combat", which reflects what the game has always been about. Tactics within CQB / CC is and always has been what the game has been about. This is
  • It will be in many ways a sim, as realism will play a large part, although much will be option-able so you can customise your own play.
  • The framework of the game will be built from the ground up to be mod friendly. We want to encourage the modding community from day 1.
  • Taking the time to build a proper and complete successor to the original CC games, that should have arrived years ago.

There is much more, the theatre has not been decided upon yet. Ideas and thoughts on all aspects of the game are welcomed. The Developers site and Publisher should be announced shortly. Devs will be very active on the forums.

Input on what you would want, petty hates, likes, wants etc. All ideas are welcome and I am sure the devs will look over pretty much everything. If you want something included, or have an idea, back it up, say why and how it will work! If you have ideas, comments, thoughts, start a new thread in this forum.

More Soon,

S

Art Of Combat - Forums[TAOC] - The Next Generation Tactical Simulation - Taking over where CC Left Off Coming Soon

Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
sulla@closecombat.org
Skype - imperator_sulla

Sulla

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Pete » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Playing the devil's advocate here: how much of this is daydreaming and how are you funding this project?
Pete
Hauptfeldwebel
Hauptfeldwebel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Sulla » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:08 am

Pete,

This has been planned for an awfully long time.

Funding is part of publisher/developer deal. Just know that its well thought out and sorted. I was 50 this year, I want to leave something behind. Decent CC has always been the goal, its what I personally always wanted.

We learn from our past, including trusting the wrong people. Believe me, with heart problems, chronic arthritis, genetic iron overload, I am not day-dreamig!

Unlike Close Assault/Red Phoenix/Bloody O and others this is real and underway. I think people have a few surprises ahead on several fronts ;)

S

sulla@closecombat.org
Skype - imperator_sulla

Sulla

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ke_mechial » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:39 pm

Good News and I am really curious about it.
It is wise to support modders from the beginning. Mods make a game long-living even after ten years, for instance CC5 Mods.
But I hope you also include official modding tools and even a manual for modding, such that even the noobiest player can give it a try...
And another question is how much you listen to the needs of the current community...
ke_mechial
Obergerfreiter
Obergerfreiter

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Nembo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:57 pm

Sulla,

First off I want to congratulate you on this project, it has my interest piqued.

But do you mind if I ask a few questions?

Sulla wrote:[*] Dev team, already being put together [almost complete - Some ol faces, lots of new].
[*] New development company.
[*] No half measures, no Matrix, S3T, Simtek or Slitherine involved.

Were not you the owner of CSO Simtek? Were you not heavily involved in making the CC games happen at Matrix/Slitherine? And how much of the ol faces come from the Matrix/Slitherine team(s)? Please don't take this as an attack because that is NOT what I'm trying to do. Just asking for clarification.

Sulla wrote:[*] Keeping what works. [top down]

YES YES YES

Sulla wrote:[*] Top down + Isometric views. [Option!]

Wait what?! I thought you just agreed on keeping what works. Just kidding I see that its isometric in addition to top down. Still isometric strategy games make me feel uneasy, mainly because so often I feel they are strategy lite.

Sulla wrote:[*] Decent funding, so the game can be what it should have been years ago.
[*] Brand new publisher.

I'm sure you can't really discuss the business side all that openly and I'm not gonna ask you to. Just gonna say this.

I felt that Matrix (and I say felt because I don't know the facts so maybe I'm wrong) had no interest in marketing the Close Combat games outside the established niche war-gaming community. While their is nothing wrong with that per say, it kinda crushed me. It was like even Matrix was condemning the games as something that couldn't succeed at catching even a few new players.

I'm not saying compromise on the game in order to draw in new players, its ok (at least I think its ok) that most serious strategy games will never have the same market appeal as games from other genres. I'm only asking that you try and market and distribute the game outside the old war gaming community.

In good news Rock Paper Shotgun already caught wind of your project, on the bad side its posted in the "Flare Path" which is basically their war gaming only column.

EDIT: I see all the old titles are up for download here. I take it you worked out a license deal of sorts with the owners?
Nembo

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby General Solomon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:39 pm

Wish you all the best. May I suggest looking at men of war and company of heroes series to for inspiration on the 3d front. Top down is great but a slight tilt on the camera would be great.

You should have developer blog posts and a youtube to help built exciting and buzz around the game.

Multiplayer will make or break your game. I would recommend the ability for a commander for each side. Also, have teams take the role of squad leader up to 10 Players each side. Headset communication between the teams would be a must.

Sal
General Solomon
Obergerfreiter
Obergerfreiter

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 am

General Solomon wrote:Wish you all the best. May I suggest looking at men of war and company of heroes series to for inspiration on the 3d front. Top down is great but a slight tilt on the camera would be great.

You should have developer blog posts and a youtube to help built exciting and buzz around the game.

Multiplayer will make or break your game. I would recommend the ability for a commander for each side. Also, have teams take the role of squad leader up to 10 Players each side. Headset communication between the teams would be a must.

Sal

I suppose a slight isometric view would already do the job, without extra for rotating, angle changing. I specifically would request it, because since GTC, vehicle markings for specific units are available, However you can only see the marking on top. Personally I would like to see them. I take it important for the sake of realism feeling.
By the way Nembo, it is good to see you still around. Your CC2: Just Cause is terrific. Any plans to port it to newer releases?

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ReconScout » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Sounds good, I really like the mod friendly and the part about players being able to easily customize the game. Being able to easily pick and choose your own units and create your own battles is important to me That is the main reason I and my son enjoy playing CC3/COI so much.
ReconScout
Felwbel
Felwbel

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby Sulla » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Hia RS,

CC3/CoI have always been my favourites.

We will be looking at building a game with historically dynamic campaign that actually makes sense. A strat layer thats not an afterthought, so that both layers accurately reflect what is happening on the other level.

Obviously, supply, interdiction, concentration of forces, movement, flanking, counter attacks etc, all of this and tons more will be reflected on the Strat layer. It will make the strat layer important and it will have a very good AI of its own.

No more deploying in tiny squares, which has no reflection on SAI level, or what you accomplished before vanishing.

The whole point of this is to make a game that is complete, something that is a challenge on both levels!

The Tactical layer, will allow placement of defences, sandbags, digging in, mines etc. The aim is to make the game complete and make use of new engines etc. Things that work, like top down Tactical view will stay, but will have an added option of Isometric view as well. What works well already will be kept. But is going to be built from the ground up.

Cheers - S

sulla@closecombat.org
Skype - imperator_sulla

Sulla

Like / Share CSO - Post

Postby ke_mechial » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:43 pm

"...The Tactical layer, will allow placement of defences, sandbags, digging in, mines etc...."

That really sounds terrific, features long awaited by CC players. I suppose they have already been implemented in CC: AT.
By the way, any plans uploading CC: AT to the site?
ke_mechial
Obergerfreiter
Obergerfreiter

Like / Share CSO - Post

Next

Return to The Tactical Art of Combat

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.