The Division of a Nation and the Splintering of a State - Why is West Virginia?

1600 - 1900 Wars Conflicts - post all comments relating to period here.

Moderators: KG_Werfer, Sulla

The Division of a Nation and the Splintering of a State - Why is West Virginia?

Postby Senior Drill » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:31 am

American Civil War buffs are generally quite familiar with the reasons and causes of the secession of the southern states that became the Civil War and none too few are well versed in the political rationals of the times as well.

I thought I was one of those, resting on the laurels of my readings of the past 40 or more years of interest in that conflict and period of American history.

I thought that, up until a couple of days ago. Then, doing a count of Union and Confederate States as a bit of data for a future thread here, it finally struck me after all these years. A fact that has been out there in front of my nose all my life and I just never saw it, let alone read up on it to learn about it and try to understand it.

I never knew why western Virginians broke from their eastern Confederate state brothers and formed their own government to created the Union State of West Virginia during the Civil War. The only time in American history that a State was partitioned and a new State formed during a time of war. The question had just plumb evaded my inquiring mind for decades.

I've found some fascinating history by searching it up on the internet and many familiar names and battles that now begin to tie into my understanding of the American Civil War.

I'm not going to go on about what I read in websites, because they are all too brief and if you are really intersted, you can look it up yourself. This one is a good start: http://www.wvculture.org/history/statehoo.html . My searches have allow me to find the titles of several books that I intend to find in the library. What I have read was fascinating and has whetted my appetite to read and learn even more.

It is forums like these on websites like this one that I can thank for continuing to increase my knowledge and understanding of history and more over, show me new areas to explore. One never gets too old to learn.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. - Pierre Bosquet, 1854
Senior Drill

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: The Division of a Nation and the Splintering of a State - Why is West Virginia?

Postby dawgfan56 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:56 am

Hey Senior Drill. Yeah, that is an amazing thing about West Virginia. One of the reasons the state is so economically challenged. Not exactly the prime real estate of Virginia. By the way, you must not be a southern boy, all us johnny rebs why those traitors did what they did. That is why Regiments from the Tar Heel state so enjoyed going into action against them. By the way, another little know fact, is that the same thing almost happend to North Carolina. The Mountaineers just wanted to be left alone. War is hell!!!
Dawgfan56 in Charlotte, NC.
dawgfan56

Like / Share CSO - Post

Re: The Division of a Nation and the Splintering of a State - Why is West Virginia?

Postby Senior Drill » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:09 am

Hey Dawg. You're right. I'm not a southerner. Pacific Northwest born and bred! :)

This tread is mostly about how that for ever much one thinks he knows, there is always more out there to learn.

It came about when I was reading and researching the histories of individuals, companies and regiments that were on the "wrong" side of the line after April of 1861 and the very gentlemanly way that freedom of movement to and from the North and South was not only allowed, but in some cases assisted up to and even after August of 1861.

But that will be for another thread....

The point of this thread is that there is just so much to learn about any subject that no one can really learn it all, and after realizing that, it makes looking for that unknow knowledge an actual pleasure.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. - Pierre Bosquet, 1854
Senior Drill

Like / Share CSO - Post

Return to 1600 - 1900 Wars Conflicts

This site is not affiliated to or has anything relating to the philosophies of any radical, political, racist or fascistic organizations. fight fascism! This site is dedicated and serves as an information-pool to all close combat gamers.

Copyright 2015 -- CloseCombat.Org All Rights are Reserved.